Stainless Robin

Guest scoobydo71

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fitted these to my Series 3 last winter:

Shocks 13" Open with spherical bearings, 1" bumpstop, 3" travel, the price a year ago was £160 they are now £220 or best offer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-13-open-Gaz-Gold-racing-aluminium-adjustable-shocks/323284346027?epid=633644743&hash=item4b453fa4ab:g:jpMAAOxyYYlRrPuF

Springs 1.9", Length 9", Rate 125lbs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faulkners-Race-Racing-Rally-Competition-Suspension-Coilover-Spring-1-9-ID-/400512937829?var=&hash=item9c059e72db

They made a huge difference over the original shocks, the suspension actually works now.

Guest scoobydo71

Thanks guys, everybody I ask seems to be headed in the same direction so,  I have a pair of Gaz  shocks winging there way to me right now plus the 125lbs springs. Thanks again.

I'll look forward to setting them up.

• 3 months later...
Guest scoobydo71

Hi again,

I'm back with a quick question,

I need to know what UJ I can use at the steering rack end of the column. I have a Sierra rack but with a proper UJ fitted to it (not the flexi rubber item that my Haynes shows).

Mine has had the pinch bolt and column input shaft welded in, plus a sleeve welded over the whole lot. It's a (strong) mess but I'm re-routing the column to clear the exhaust and can't re-use this bottom joint.

Just need a lead to which UJ will fit the Sierra rack and I can sort the rest.

I'm sure one of you will come good so thanks in advance!

P.s. Running out of time but still intend to bring it to Stoneleigh again in a month!!!

Phone and take the old one over to Dave Mac at 

024 7668 3239 and he should have the joints. When I swapped the shaft and joints on mine I bought joints online but found them loose on the splines. From memory Dave is open until 1200 on Saturdays

Guest scoobydo71

Thanks, that could be the answer.

I know of Dave Mac ( Subaru driveshafts many years ago) but wasn't aware of what stock they may hold.

They arn't too far from work and I have an Etype to test drive next week. You can see where that's going!

Aside,

Much welding been done, Gaz shocks installed (had to modify the crossmember to take the extra travel). Seriously stronger lower wishbone rear mounts fitted.

Must must must get a steering column in it quick now so that I can get a test drive in before May.

Remember, house takes priority (not my rules) so I get about 4hrs on a Friday afternoon to play toy.

Bugger, that gives me about 12 hours to make it driveable. Should be possible.

You don't even want to know about all the boards I've just bought to rebuild the decking and veg plots, and it's spring so we need to get the food growing.

It's all good fun but I can feel the time slipping away.

See you all at Stonleigh then?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scoobydo71

Update to anyone who cares?

Veggie plots built, seeds sown. So called the shots last Fri, new steering column in, lights,wings etc, etc, fitted.

Put 30 plus miles on it last Sat,

Didn't break down and nothing fell off. Cool!

Rebuilt my gearlever with a shortshift kit today, nice, but then fired it up just to find it spraying coolant out under the bonnet. It's probably just a split hose but no time to check so, I'm having to call the shots again this weekend (she's pretending to be cool about it!). I'll sort it out and hopefully get another quick run in.

Stoneleigh here we come and the decking can wait!

Guest scoobydo71

Cheers, I'm doing my best.

Do you guys need a hand setting up on Sat again?

I plan to be reliable by the end of the weekend so, should be able to whizz over if I can be of help.

Guest scoobydo71

Thanks blue, ball joints all sorted now!

It'd spat a hose off, long boring story so, easier to speak than type. Mucked about re-jigging pipework and we should be OK?!

Weather permitting, will try and get a run in tomorrow and again next Fri. Wish me luck.

If all goes well I'm available for Sat set up. 10.30 last year I think but let me know how you're fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scoobydo71

Yes, and the springs. Probably could have haggled them down cheaper but wanted them in the post right away!

Rear is still the 'factory' set up. It works (as in that the wheels move independently) but the mountings are bending. Next winters' job is to re-make new mounts including roll cage and floor strengthening. Then, I'll sort some Gaz Golds for that end as well I guess!