Car Transporter Recommendations

Guest 547140hayward

Guest 547140hayward

Hi all,

I've recently moved from Wiltshire to Scotland leaving my 2B on a friend's driveway. I need to move it up in the next couple of weeks and although I'm not afraid of the odd drafty drive, don't fancy 430 miles in December without a roof. I've started to get a few quotes from car transport firms online, but wondered if the collective wisdom of the forum might know of a cheapish and reliable way of getting the car up and safely in my new garage for the winter.

Thanks,

Jamie

Can't you borrow or even hire a car transporter trailer. A couple days hire would be a lot cheaper than getting a company to do it for you. I am assuming that you have a licence to tow of course. I picked a car up from Cornwall in one day, that was 650 miles not too stressful.

Pity we can't relay it up there RHOCAR pony express style.

Guest lotusPaul

I moved a lotus elan plus 2 from wilts to South hants. Hired a car transporter. Cheap to be fair for a day,As i was moving house i moved a bit more gear. I think you could pay extra for more mileage.

Cant remember the name but was on A303 ,come off at Andover west, hq land junction. On the main round a bout by McDonalds ect.

Id recommend them as they were good to me

Hi Jamie

Welcome to our beautiful country. There is places in Fife that you can hire a trailer from. Ive been down to Derby and back a few times this year with mine on the back of a trailer. You could do it there and back in one day, I always stopped over. What you will have to way up is the cost of the hire, fuel and possibly overnight stay also your time compared to getting someone bringing it up the road for you.

I'm just 40mins from you in Dunfermline

Andy

The trouble with using somebody to do it for you is you are going to have to pay their time both ways as well as the fuel. Can't really see anybody wanting to do it for less than a pound a mile and that is a lot of money. If it was me I'd be off at three in the morning with a trailer. Be safest with an overnight stop though

I see only 3 options here. In order of cost.

1) Plenty of sweaters, good sheepskin coat, bank robbers balaclava and wooly hat, surgeons gloves inside thermal gloves, grit you teeth and go for it like a man. or...............

2) Hire a trailer and trailer it back up, (45 per day normally)

3) Pay someone to deliver it for you.

Guest chris brown

As Jim says good waterproof clothing and drive it up or trailer it as the cost of collection will be at least £1 per mile each way. I used a trailer when I picked up the porsche £48 for 1 day but only £65 for 2.