Should I Buy?

Guest vr6paul

Guest vr6paul

Folks,

I have just joined up in preparation for purchase of a 2b. I had one a few years ago very briefly (before the kids).

When look online re the currently thinking around Robin Hoods in the community they don't seem to be highly thought of to be honest - lots of chat about them being "ok for cruising about but not driving hard" - can this be right?? - ref Pistonheads etc..

You guys all love them but I wondered about any reassurance in regard to performance etc - car has a 2.0 pinto i think.

The one I have seen is close to £2k so i guess it is reasonable value,

Any advise appreciated?

cheers paul

All the above! If you're after a capable, dynamic motorsport-derived car that will hold it's own with top-end sports cars costing £30k+ then a 2B won't be it.

If you're after something that you can live with all year round, drive on the road in a comfortable fashion and yet still have some good fun in, for very little (relative) money, then it's much more up your alley!

Guest vr6paul

Thanks folks. Mostly road use to be honest. Something fun for weekends really however still not sure how much use Ill get out it. Considering a boxster too (which are getting cheap) and arguably could be used in worse weather. Insurance would be higher though. Decisions !

Hi Paul,

where about in Scotland are you. I'm in Dunfermline, their are a few hoods in the central belt. I'm sure that someone will be able to give you advice on the one that your considering locally

Andy

As with any kitcar, being familiar with a spanner helps greatly as Robin Hoods are cars which you tend to tinker with to either keep them roadworthy or simply to upgrade.

Picking up on your comments about also considering a Boxster, here is what I’ve found having had my ‘hood’ for the last 14 years but also in the last few months having got to grips with a sporty production car;

The production car (in my case a vx220) is comfier, warmer and more civilised than the hood.

Everything works on the VX like it’s supposed to whereas my hood (as most) has some ‘quirks’ - for example on the hood, the fuel gauge works backwards.

However,……. As great as the vx220 is, for me it just doesn’t get me as excited when driving as the robin hood does. Nor does the VX get the ‘looks’ from people as you drive around.

Also, when driving the VX, it didn’t take long before I was ‘use to it’ and it started to feel a bit bland in comparison to the hood.

Also the hood is a lot easier to work on than the VX and has a much more knowledgeable community.

Regards robin hoods in comparison to the rest of the kitcar market place. I totally agree with what everyone else has said. They are not the best kitcar around in terms of weight and handling, but then again, they aren’t as terrible as some people would have you believe either, and they certainly don’t have a £10k-£15k that some of the ‘better’ kitcars have…….and in comparison to most sporty production cars in the same price bracket, they will put a huge smile on your face!

• Like 1

Another advantage over other 7's is that the 2b is quite a bit bigger. There are a few others out there that are big too like the Quantum but you are paying quite a lot more.

Very few people can tell the difference between a 2b and a caterham, not that i want to pretend i have a caterham or anything.

You are unlikely to lose a lot of money if you wanted to sell it on later they seem to hit a base price.

For me i quite like that my car doesn't have that much power as it keeps me safer. The roads around me are fun and twisty but also have a lot of trees and sheep and boar etc looking to get me at a moments notice. I can make lots of noise and get the buzz without finding i am doing silly speeds. I'd rather get better handling than more power, i enjoy trying to improve the line i take, my gear shifting, carrying speed through a corner and when and where to brake. But that is how i enjoy my car so it really is up to you.

• Like 2

Guest lotusPaul

My two pence worth,

I guess if you got any car for 2k you would expect a few tweaks to be made to suit you. Esspecially true with ANY kit car. But at end off day if its not your cuppa tea then you could sell it for the same and make zero lose.

I really honestly couldnt say that for any Porker.

So in my mind the choice is a simple one, the 2b probably represents best value and minimal depreciation. The Porker i wouldnt even touch.

Guest vr6paul

Thanks for all the advice guys. 2b I was looking at is now basically £2k . Getting a boxster near that price will be risky I think. Im ok with tools - look after my dailies myself for the most part. I wonder!

At 2k what have you got to lose. Buy it drive for this summer if you don't like it move it on. It has bottomed out price wise. I miss mine and have a 5 lite V8 merc as a toy, but also I enjoy my daily tintop, hence the Merc gets little use. In fact I used to use the kit more than the Merc as I dont want it spoiling and repair bills are astronomical. £250 alternator - £278 pair of dizzy caps and rotors ...... etc etc.