Emissions

richard mackay

• 2 months later...

At MOT centre and he will not MOT the car on old emissions he wants a cat or proof the engine is from a 1984 Sierra. I have fitted a ST170 so thinks it should have a cat or proved the engine was pre-cat. Obviously I have no proof and I dont beleive ST170 was ever fitted without a cat.

Surely he should proceed based on the contents of the V5? Assuming the engine number and details match to what's on the V5, of course.

What is the date of first registration on your V5?

Is the V5 correct in terms of identifying the engine number and capacity?

If not, did you TELL him you swapped the engine to something different AFTER the car was registered (if you even have done)?

If so, that was a bit silly :)

Edited by brumster

At MOT centre and he will not MOT the car on old emissions he wants a cat or proof the engine is from a 1984 Sierra. I have fitted a ST170 so thinks it should have a cat or proved the engine was pre-cat. Obviously I have no proof and I dont beleive ST170 was ever fitted without a cat.

Find a different tester.

Basically, he should just action the test based on the first use (=first registration) date on the V5. Which is basically :

<1975 : no requirement

75->86 : 4.5% CO, 0.12% HC idle test only

86->95 : 3.5% CO, 0.12% HC idle

95->02 : 0.5% CO idle, 0.3% CO fast idle, 0.02% (200ppm) fast idle

02> : 0.3% CO idle, 0.2% CO fast idle, 0.02% (200ppm) fast idle

The fast idle test is 2500-3000rpm

Basically, you're unlikely to make any of the post-95 numbers without a cat. The PPM you probably can do (ask me how I know <cough>) but the CO unlikely...

If your V5 states a date before 95 and states no emissions requirements, then you should be fine. Obviously the above assumes there are no specific exhaust emissions stated on the V5, which I doubt is the case, certainly there aren't any on mine...

Edited by brumster

Update the emissions field on V5 is completely blank, so he went for date First registered which is 2014 on V5, so went through the manual using flow diagrams and basically came up with you need a cat. However as we were almost packing up we found the emissions as Duck said in the special notes sections on the front cover is V5 CO 4.5 and HC 0.12. Nevertheless it still failed CO 6.5 and HC1128, to be fair I thought this would fail I only used colour tune and carb balancer and was waiting for car to be MOTd so I can drive to rolling road. Rest of MOT failure list in another post. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1