Air Inlet Pipe Work - How Can I Do This Better

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

Part of my winter upgrades is to fix the air inlet pipe work on the Marlin. Again its down to the age old problem through out this build of not having enough room to fit things in.

This is my current set up:

https://s5.postimg.org/kvxdhmkl3/1_F06_F0_AA-5168-4695-_AD02-5_C8233713351.jpg

https://s5.postimg.org/llg5u0npj/548_A09_F8-_D0_BE-4_D06-_A189-5748_DB84_EBDB.jpg

https://s5.postimg.org/mnqccjr3b/5_E7318_E0-52_B7-4_E74-_A675-2757316_BBFF2.jpg

https://s5.postimg.org/84j7b55o7/727880_D7-7_A09-4_B27-_BA0_D-6_E1_EC0_C77_C6_C.jpg

A few things first the rubber boot on the air box should be facing towards the front of the car, however its on an angle and poked out the side of the car so I had to turn it 180 degrees so it points back towards the firewall.

As you can see the air filter is crammed between the side panel of the car ( currently not fitted but does have louvres cut in) and the engine at the other side... its pretty much hard up against the block.

The under bonnet temps are around 60 degrees and I know I will be losing a lot of performance because of the restrictions around the air filter and temperatures.

Part of the problem is I need to have enough straight pipe work to fit the MAF. This cannot be deleted easily.

What options have I got to try and pull in cold air rather than hot engine bay air? I was thinking of having an air filter set up mounted to the side panel but I cant really find what I am looking for....

Any suggestions beside cutting holes in the side panel and adding an air scoop I really dont think that would suit the look of the car.

All that jumps to mind is extending the hose to another area where there *is* space, and fitting a panel filter into some sort of enclosure? Short of doing what you've already done and just forcing some air in from a scoop somewhere (which, like you, I personally hate the look of on a road car)...

Guest mcramsay

I cant move the filter forward as it hits up against the oil cooler pipwork which pretty much blocks all access, I cant go over the top of the engine as there is like 10mm between the bonnet and the top of the engine...

I could possibly follow the firewall down and have some type of air box in the free space between the sump and side rail of the chassis.

It does look bloody tight to me! Just go individual throttle bodies and be done with it ;)

Maybe just a mesh/panel in the side panel, over the existing filter, to allow it to suck from outside and just keep the ambient temperature around the filter down as much as possible. Could you rig up a temporary electronic temperature gauge near the current air filter setup, go for a drive and understand exactly what the inlet temps are in reality? Or is there definitely a problem?

Guest mcramsay

The main issue is the flexible rubber boot that mounts to the air box is more line a rounded rectangle shape, so it cannot be rotated in any direction, either the round intake points to the front or to the back.

I dont want to start redesigning the stock airbox as it is a complete work of art... even if it is absolutely massive.

The air temp sensor lives in the main air box and gives a reading of around 65, which I know is more to do with under bonnet temps as well as sucking hot air from the engine to aid the heating up.

Looks like there is no easy way forward!!

It's a marlin sportster isn't it? don't they have louvres all up the side panel? could you 'cup' the air filter to pull air through the louvres rather than from within the engine bay? Just a thin ally sheet air box with closed cell strip to seal against the side panel when you put it in place. Can't quite see if you can get a cm or so around the back of the filter so you wouldn't lose too much surface area of the filter. By the look of it you could open up the cup quite wide to get as much area as you can against the louvres.

Edited by agent_zed