Speedo Not Reading

Tom09tom

Hi again.

So I have sorted out a lot of the jobs on my Robin Hood that I bought last year. The last thing is speedo, currently it is not working properly. It is jumpy and never accurate, but mostly it reads 0.

Today I worked out how to reset the trip clock and the mileage counter is also working (how? When the speed isn't I don't know?).

Has anyone else had this problem? I've read on the internet that I could require a new cable, but I want to be sure that is the problem before I buy one.. if I can find one?

Any advise would be great, this is my last job before MOT and I'm hoping to go for the test next week, but there's no date yet.

Pic of the speedo...

lYhC5uC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Passed the mot yesterday, only thing is that the examiner snapped the hand brake cable so there is another job.

I rerouted the speedo cable and it is working slightly better but still not right, tested with a sat nav and it seems the odometer is counting about 10% lower than it should. I'm going to have another play when I get time.

How does that speedo work? Is it connected directly to the gearbox or are there magnets on the propshaft?

I have an induction sensor that triggers off the bolts on the propshaft. I believe an older method was to have a sensor triggered by magnets attached to the propshaft. If yours uses that, check all the magnets are still in place.

as above probably a sticky cable. I pulled the inner cable out on mine and gave it a clean and removed any rough spots with some wet and dry then a thin layer of lithium grease and it's perfect again. Depends how bad the inner cable is though.

Do you mean that for example when your speedo reads 70 you are doing 63?

That would be the correct way around as your speedo isn't allowed to read 63 when you are doing 64 etc

If the above is the case it'll be because you have smaller rolling diameter tyres than the original car. Mine does this, i just got used to either driving the few mph faster or not worrying about it and driving that bit slower :)

Also probably a good thing your examiner snapped your cable rather than it giving up when parked on a hill. If you have a welder drill a hole through a piece of rod/bolt stick the cable through a couple of mm and give it a good bit of zapping.

Edited by agent_zed

Hi thanks for the reply's.

The speedo is cable driven. Agent zed , with the method you used, can I leave the outer cable connected to the gearbox? Because it is very tightly boxed in and I can't even see it properly.

Also when I say it's 10 % out. I don't mean the speedo, that's more like 50% out lol. It's the mile counter I'm talking about. I did 4 miles to the test place (sat nav measured)but the mileage only moved 3.6 and after the 4 miles back it read 7.2.

The car was garaged for 10 years so these problems were always going to show up. It's all part of the fun.

Yes on my type 9 box I left the outer attached and just pulled out the inner. When you put it back in you'll need to twist it when its almost in so it will drop back into the speedo drive. If its not reading the correct speed it wont record the correct miles.