Carb Problem

Guest Ridgefeld

Guest Ridgefeld

Hi guys I'm new to this site , I have an old Dutton (stop laughing) , it has at present a 2l pinto which I am about to put bike carbs back on because I cant stop the dhla 45s flooding even though rebuild with new seals etc , so to the bike carbs one cylinder backfires through a carb on start up and tick over , its fine higher in the rev range , the carbs are ex Honda and make is Keihin . Can anyone tell me how and where to adjust this please

As above check float height also I think 45s is excessive for 2l pinto unless serious tuned. If this doesnt work check jet size (idle first, then main jets. I have a book somewhere with good starting sizes, I will have a look when I get home.

Welcome to the club.

Guest mdav1970

I run CBR 750 bike carbs in my 2l pinto. You probably need to check the balancing on the carbs. You can buy a simple device off ebay that you hold over each inlet and it measures the amount of air flow. You can then adjust it using the adjuster screws. May also be worth opening up the carbs and cleaning any bad deposit etc. I did have one set off ebay that looked like they had been sat for a long time, could never get balanced right, so i went and brought another set from a bike parts shop that had only recently been off a bike. They went straight on and worked a dream.

Guest Ridgefeld

Now how strange is this , I checked the float height this morning ,both carbs were set at 20mm ,they are 10grm floats which I reset to 15mm as recommended , the 2nd carb now fills properly because the 1st carb in line no longer leaks ,how can raising the float level stop it leaking ,both have new needle valves

I have had similar problems with mine. When I changed the needle valves due to one sticking I checked the float heights and found one was way out. I reset it and afterwards had trouble with flooding. Put it back to its original height and problem solved.