Propshaft Removal.

mickpond

On the assumption that, if I know how my 2B was built, I will know how to take it apart, I have been watching the Build videos and the following has struck me.

Order of build/installation is shown as: Engine and Gearbox. Rear subframe and axle, Propshaft. You then start putting on the panels.

When this is done you cannot see the front of the Propshaft from above or below. To remove the Engine and Gearbox you first need to remove the Propshaft so how do you get at the front?

It would not make sense to cut out the Floorpan and if you remove the top of the Transmission tunnel panels it is still covered by the twin chassis tubes.

Lots of you must have removed the engine and gearbox from a built 2B so what is the procedure?

Cheers. Mick.

Leave the propshaft in place. Slide the engine & box forwards to

disengage the prop nose, either fit a spare prop nose into the back of the box

to prevent oil loss, or tie it securely with plastic & elastic bands.

To remove just the propshaft means removing or at very least moving, the diff.

HTH

BTW dont believe everything you see in the videos!!!

Take it you have a complete, side to side floor --- no gap in the centre? Probably of no help --- we built Florin with an open tunnel (front to back) by cutting the floor in half & turning the edges up to fix the tunnel sides on. Prop only needs the diff bolts removing & the prop can be dropped clear at rear & slid out of gearbox.

Similar could be done after build by using 2 pieces of angle to fix floor to tunnel sides.

• Like 1

I fitted hinged side tunnel panels to my 2b. Lets me access the inside of the tunnel from the drivers side. I can also remove my prop shaft with the engine, gearbox and diff all in place.

I was under the impression the side panels of the tunnel form part of the strength of the tub for the floor. Mine is bolted to the floor plan at the bottom and screwed into the top tunnel rail to create a pretty strong box through the centre to hold the floor. Be careul if you make one of the sides removable that you don't weaken the floor structure. Should be ok if you bolt it all back in i wouldn't make it 'too' removable if you get what i mean.

hth

I have removed a section of the floor panel at the diff end.

Undo the 4 bolts connecting the prop to the diff and the prop shaft slides forward then down and out.

followed quite quickly by the gearbox oil :crazy:

I made an angle iron frame to strengthen the floor and bolt the seats to so the tunnel sides are just covers for the side of the tunnel now. I've never had any oil leak out once I removed the prop from the gearbox.

Several of the replies indicate that you only need to get to the Diff end of the shaft. This is fine when removing the shaft. However, when replacing the shaft, the UJ on the splined (Gearbox) end will allow the splines to flop about. I would have thought it very difficult to get them to enter the Gearbox if you can't get access to support and guide them.

good point but on my car there is a tab cut into the floor pan to enable greasing of the front prop joint. I would think if you can get a second pair of hands you could get them to manipulate the front of the prop through the hole. Perhaps?!

There is a tab cut out in the floor below the nose end of the gearbox in mine too, which allows greasing and when replacing the prop shaft.

The nose end of the gearbox and the prop shaft is also accessible from the top in mine by removing the top cover.