My Jobs List On The 2B

agent_zed

Havin neglected my 2b for the past couple of years i've started to get back into the swing of things and getting some jobs sorted.

So recent completed jobs included having to swap out a valve i managed to bend by dropping a nut when i removed the head last year. After that i had to use the car as the daily driver for quite a while after my bmw failed mot. The 2b then decided to blow a hose (admittedly an ancient one) so decided to swap out all the hoses for new. So just finished changing to lovely blue silicone hoses, which clearly adds 50bhp at least just because they are blue :)

Halfway through welding the manifold for my bike carbs. Managed to ruin my mig tip holder so waiting for a new one to arrive. So hopefully can fit the carbs soon.

Got to sand down and respray the bonnet, nose cone and arches

Noticed the powdercoating has come off on part of the underchassis so have some rust removing and painting to do.

Diff needs sealing as leakin oil from front flange

New wing mirrors to fit (have them just need to fit)

repaint the steering shaft

Paint the headlights black as the chrome is gone.

Paint the steering boss as it's gone grey.

Adjust the ploughbar as i want more clearance.

Few more lift the dot fasteners on the boot cover (if i can find the imperial tap i bought to fit the male part to the chassis rail. doh)

Lots of tidying bits up, polishing the good paintwork and the windscreen surround

If i get time before stoneleigh i want to build grp rear arches and redo the dash but that might not happen

Sure the list just got longer now i write it down

• Like 1

thanks guys.

well i got her refilled with coolant and tried to start her. Didn't seem to want to turn over properly was going fast and then almost stopping until it got past a point. I assume it was the coil pulling too much juice at that point. After a while i could smell the cables getting hot so i stopped.

once the cables had cooled i removed the main live to the starter, gave it a wire brush and a bit of copper grease then all back together. Tried again and started within a second or two no probs :)

perhaps i'll get to take it out for a run if the weather is any good. here's hoping :)

xflow to st170 that must be quite a change in power?

At some point i should change my old 1.6 pinto but i'm strangely attached to it as it is my original donor engine, and it probably keeps me out of trouble :)

• Like 1

xflow to st170 that must be quite a change in power

Contemplating the opposite change. The Devon and Cornwall corners are approaching to quick for my slowing reflexes these days. On the other hand I might just charge the battery and reset the the rev limiter on the omex to 2000rpm.

• Like 3

xflow to st170 that must be quite a change in power?

At some point i should change my old 1.6 pinto but i'm strangely attached to it as it is my original donor engine, and it probably keeps me out of trouble :)

I loved the xflow and twin 40s (PS. Fitted twin 45s to ST engine) but could not keep up with you lot on the road.

what's the difference in BHP? was it a 1.7 xflow?

Prob not a great difference in weight between the xflow and st but the pinto to zetec is about a 30-40kg reduction if i remember the stats correctly. If i get round to changing it just the weight loss would be an instant performance boost.

I'm interested to see the modest gain i might get when i fit the bike carbs. At the moment it just doesn't want to rev so i think it is getting lean when the second choke comes in. Guess i'll find out soon (hopefully)

Got my new mig tip holder and some spare tips, so i can continue to finish the manifold. Just have to work out why i keep burning back. I've tried increasing distance and playing with the wirespeed and power but only seem to hit the correct setting every so often. I think the wire is a bit jumpy for some reason. Don't buy a sip welder!

it's stainless wire so no probs there. It's a steel liner so 'should' be ok and isnt' all that old/used. I did have a problem with the spool being wound with it somehow crossing over itself so had to unwind a fair bit and rewind again. It's annoying as sometimes it goes well and other time not and i haven't changed anything. I am wondering if it's my gas setting though so going to try upping it a bit. Perhaps it's blowing away with the increased distance, annoying as it's expensive buying the small argon bottles.

I have seen a piece of metal that you screw to the wire guide to help strengthen it so might try that at somepoint. SIP made me angry when i bought my welder thinking it would take the big 5kg spools only to find you had to buy a plastic part to convert spindle size for £20!!! I thought sod that and cut the centre out of an old small spool so if fits into the big spool. Does the job and costs nothing. Why they think £20 for a small plastic wheel is a fair price god only knows. https://www.welduk.com/product/5-kg-reel-adaptors-sip-10128-10129-s-z?gclid=CjwKCAjws6jVBRBZEiwAkIfZ2tl0HRNUT1XiUxBQleBGrj4bX6VUP0do3GPaBHpKjYcudETNqAwHKRoCAPgQAvD_BwE

(The stainless is on a small spool so that's not the problem in this case)