Replacement Pinto Rad

Guest G4VVU

Guest G4VVU

Hi all. First day out in the car this year and disaster struck! The cooling fan managed to chew threw the rad and spewed all the coolant all over the floor.

Long story short a new rad is needed. I have read that the polo radiator is a common replacement but the inlet and outlet are both on yhe same side where as the original pinto are on opposite sides.

Do people normally just replace the hose with a longer one to solve this problem or am I looking at the wrong ones?

Cheers

Guest G4VVU

Just thinking.. I'm gonna need a radiator with a pressure filler cap like what is already in there as I don't have an expansion bottle on me car.

Any other suggestions?

Guest G4VVU

Great minds... I'm just looking at the civic ones at the minute.

Just need to double check measurements on the car tomorrow to make sure they aren't to high :db:

Guest G4VVU

Thanks for the offer Dan but that's more than I was looking to pay.

Yeah I think I will be going for the civic jist need to check on the car there isn't anything silly stopping it from fitting.

Did you use the electric fan or still using the viscous?

Electric fan for me. But I'm running a v6 so no room for a viscous. Also I doubt the original fan would make any difference to cooling given the civic radiator is much further away from the engine.

post-4470-0-88659900-1522673826_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrisruck

Hi. Let me echo the above. i'm in the middle of a 2B + build with an old 2l Pinto. Picked up a Polo rad off eBay for £40 brand new. Yes the inlet outlet are on the same side of the rad and a bit of a pain to plumb in but job done with some hoses from ASH. Kept the rad angled back to improve surface area expose to the air flow. Seems OK so far.

I think this is the article that helped me work out rad size.

What size radiator do I need for my car? | Super 7th Heaven

Kevin

Guest G4VVU

Right so I've sourced a rad and fan, next question..

What temperature do I need the fan to kick in, 90 degrees and off at 80? I think my car normally runs around 89/90 and sticks about there pretty consistently unless stuck in traffic which hopefully the electric fan will resolve.

Thanks for all the help chaps :good:

Guest G4VVU

Another quick question lads.. fitted new rad and fan just need to wire uo thermo switch. Using the wiring diagram by NW however my thermostat only has one spade connection so that will have to be connected to the relay. Is the second spade which goes to the ignition on his diagram just an earth so as long as I earth the joiner pipe it will work as needed?

Thanks