Banner Batteries

nelmo

I did my 'knight in shining armour' routine yesterday on my way home from work - stopped for petrol and there was a bloke in a Caterham on the forecourt, with his bonnet off.

Turned out his battery (one of those small, Banner ones) had gone flat a few days before (despite being on a trickle charger all winter) and despite a complete recharge the night before, had only lasted half a day.

I drove the guy to the nearest Halfords to see if he could get another one but they didn't sell them (I did try to call rather than drive there - they didn't answer). But the guy in Halfords (not the usual spotty teenager but someone who seemed to know what he was talking about) said Banner batteries were not much good - too little lead, too strong acid.

I was always under the impression Banner were a good brand - was Halfords man talking rubbish, does anyone know?

Googling "Banner batteries reliability" doesn't return much to support what Halfords guy said.

However, it might have been the guy's trickle charger, see: www.powerstream.com/SLA.htm under "Overnight Charging, Unregulated Transformer-Based Chargers"

-steve

Edited by bullfist

Like you I always thought of Banner as a premium brand, but my experience has been mixed.

A new Banner on the RH performed poorly and I took it back to their import base in Rugeley to have it tested and was told that it was OK. So I checked all the connections and the starter but there was no improvement until eventually it failed and was replaced by another brand with an immediate improvement.

A Banner battery on my Subaru lasted just longer than the warranty, but one on the old Landrover lasted well, so mixed experience, but I wouldn't buy Banner in preference to any other brand anymore.

Malcolm