Mot's

geordie40

Calling all Devon drivers, just wondering where you get your MOT done.

I don't want car to fail because tester doesn't know kit cars very well.

Recomendations around Exeter/Torquay please.

Edited by geordie40

Normally use kwik fit but previous owner said their branch didn't have a clue and said required work hadnt been done, owner showed them Bill for work and even got kwik fit to phone repair garage before they believed them work had been done.

Ive been given a couple of kit car "friendly" garage names now

I'd second Bob and say find a local small garage with a friendly MOT tester that has the time and interest.

Annoyingly the one i use charge more than most but i always go as they are happy for me to help in the mot. I take the bonnet off and we have to lift the car slightly to get the sliding jack under when it's up on the lift. I have done the brake test for them too and he is a bit shorter than me and the seat is fixed. They've lent me a spanner before now to move the headlight as it was slightly out.

I would never want them to pass anything that they shouldn't, especially safety wise, but it's useful when your emmissions are right on the limit and wavering a bit that they see more green than red ;)

I'm lucky in that our local garage are very helpful. I get a timed appointment as I don't want to leave the car outside in case it's raining as I don't have a roof. I always do the brake testing for him as he has a bad knee and is also a bit wide to fit in the car. When the wipers didn't work he lent me some tools to sort it out while he did the rest of the test. If our other car goes in for service he sends the bill rather than make us pay it on the spot, nice that there is still some trust out there. We have used others when we had no choice but we always go back.

We have a nice local small garage as well. They are into stock car racing and are always interested to see the hood arrive for its mot. They only have to look at a part on the car and know exactly which model it's sourced from. They allow me to get under when it's on the 4 poster to have a look round the bottom of the car.

They may be a little more costly up front-- this give them time to do the job properly & also not invent failures which may just be borderline.

Our garage is owned/run by a proper mechanic & Florin appears on their web. Well pleased with that & the service we receive.

I use the cheapest garage I can find for the tintops,

but the Hood goes to a local garage which charges full price.

He cant fit in it, so I sit in the car & do all the pushing, twiddling jobs.

He wont pass anything dicey, but he does allow a lot of leeway for on the spot fixes.

Then I go look at his latest racing sidecar outfit & we discuss how I raced a cutdown frame

BSA 650 outfit (I was the passenger) with 2 magnetos and two Wal Phillips fuel injectors (nobody else has heard of them either)

& he tells me how he gets his carbon fibre chassis built using an autoclave,

negative pressure tank or something, has his engine built in Holland, and his latest throttle bodies and custom built ECU.

Maybe thats why he has to charge full price...

We both enjoy the comparisons.

My view is that a lot of the cheep MOT places see it as a loss leader to lucrative repairs.

Buy cheep buy twice.

My local MOT charges max price but is very helpful in on the spot adjustments and a pass.

Guest zoomzoom

and he is a bit shorter than me and the seat is fixed .

opps thats a testable item , seat must be adjustable

:crazy:

Edited by zoomzoom