Radiator Cooling Fan Super Spec

geordie40

Hi all

Having just got my Super Spec Im full of questions so Im sorry to bombard everyone with them :help:

Should the fan have a thermostatic switch so it comes on by itself and if so where is it, I ran the car up to temp today and it reached about 92 but nothing came on. The car does have a manual activation switch which works fine.

Its the Rover engine by the way

Also where would I find the reversing switch, I know its on the gearbox but where (if im looking through tunnel down from inside the car) the car doesn't have a revering light but I possibly want to change one of the fog lights to a reverse light

The thermostatic switch is at bottom right of the radiator.

post-12714-0-61849200-1525017569_thumb.jpg

Mine never worked so the previous owner put a switch on the dashboard. At first I fitted a variable switch (one where you put a wire into the top hose leading to a thermostatic switch. My final solution was to fit a proper 95C switch in the top hose.

post-12714-0-38948900-1525017861_thumb.jpg

The reversing switch is a bit more difficult. On my geaerbox it is at the bottom of the gearbox and you have to get underneath the car to access it. On the other hand, on my spare gearbox it is on the top.

post-12714-0-77636800-1525017876_thumb.jpg

Al

Edited by alanrichey
  • Like 1

when you do the reversing light make sure you run continuity checks to identify which wires it is as i had 4 coming out of mine. When you do find the two that go together when reverse is selected it doesn't matter which way round they go.

if your lucky like me the previous builder had extended the wires to the top of the tunnel.

I use the radiator switch (bottom RH). Works, but I do have to watch the temperature reach 100C willing the the fan to cut in (e.g. when coming off motorway and queueing on the slip road). Dash-board temp. sensor is at top of engine block, so there will be a delay before radiator gets hot enough. Conclusion: it works but it may not be the best position for it. I also found that when my switch started leaking, the plastic holder had broken, so fabricated a new one from alu and all is good.

-steve