Is This Ilegal?

agent_zed

Hi,

i'm selling my old mot failed bmw and a couple of people emailed they are interested and the way they were asking certain things i am assuming they were planning on driving the car away.

I made it clear it has no MOT.

If i sell the car and let someone drive it off my property onto the road, am i in any way liable if they have an accident/picked up by the police?

I'm not really happy letting someone do that so will probably say it needs to be trailered away. i just wondered what the rules are

Guest James24785

Write a receipt with date and time, signed by both parties. From that moment you are no longer the owner of the car and all liability will fall on the new owner. Upto them if they (stupidly) want to drive it

Guessing ... but needs checking.

I assume you still 'own' the vehicle until DVLA have received appropriate paperwork informing them of new owner's details and new owner does likewise.

Could you receive speeding points etc even though you have sold the car ... ?? Fined for being on the road without MOT ... ??

Whilst writing this - you have had more positive answers I see. Must type much quicker - or - not type at all!

Edited by alanh65

The responsibility for driving a car with no mot is with the driver. If you no longer own the car you are neither allowing or permitting the owner to commit the offence.

As Dan says register the change of keeper on line as soon as you can.

Keep a note of the time and date of the sale.

The v5 is not proof of ownership only that you are the keeper.

The tax will not transfer with the car and ends upon sale you will be refunded complete months paid for.

It is the new keepers responsibility to tax and insure the vehicle and this can be done online too.

Remember to cancel any insurance for the vehicle too or it will remain as yours on the motor insurers database.

You have no responsibility for tax insurance or mot after the sale is complete.

On a test drive you could be liable for permitting the use of the vehicle without those things so make sure its not test driven without trade plates and you confirming that insurance covers the driver.

thanks all. just found the online transfer page so will use that as well as a dated timed reciept.

it's sorned and no insurance so that's not a problem. sold as seen so no test drives. i've also made it clear in any correspndence that it has failed mot think i'll mention insurance too. up to them then.

hoping to get it off my drive asap which will win me major points with the other half :)