Rhocar

Peter Bell

I joined Rhocar at the end of 1996, it had been formed by combining the Robin Hood Owners Club with the Robin Hood Register. The internet was some weird thing that would never catch on, the phone bills were high, and someone in the house would pick up the phone extension just as you were about to do something important, but a few forums were starting. The 2 clubs had started to support owners who were trying to build cars with a very basic manual, it didn't help that the design seemed to change slightly from week to week. I believe there had been friction between the two organisations, I suspect there are a few members still who could confirm/deny this, but Rhocar was the upshot. In '96 there were over 500 members and 1000 at the end of '97 and 30 local area secretary's. The main communication was by the Magazines, 8 per year was the target with people asking questions and writing articles, instant answers to problems were not available then, magazines were eagerly awaited. There were some issues with personalities in the organisation that ordinary members got to hear about and some left unexpectedly.

This is just to try to put some background into this club for newcomers, which has survived a long time, the internet has changed it dramatically, with knowledge available to anyone, instantly, not thumbing through back issues of magazines. It will be a tough task for the committee to steer the club forwards especially increasing or even maintaining membership but I wish them well. I hope to be at the show again this weekend.

• Like 6

Thank you an interesting insight into Rhocar.

I had never even thought about how it came about but now understand a little more.

Nice explanation, without any political undertones.