Swirl Pot In Fuel Tank Issues

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

I don't have one in my fuel tank I have the original ford Sierra fuel sender in the tank anyone had the same issues as me with fuel problems when cornering. Should I just change it for a land rover one with a swirl pot to sort it

Not being negative just saying what work is required, I know if I was to do it again I would not use the land rover one.

A quick and easy fix for fuel surge or at least worth a punt is that foam you can get to go in your tank which helps stop the fuel sloshing around

just to put a spanner in the posts i found it fairly easy to fit a intank pump swirl pot and pump into the zetec tank cos my tank is alloy stainless steel is a bit trickier but do able and is a far better setup than having a low pressure pump feeding a swirl pot in the engine bay feeding a high pressure pump in engine bay i know of a few people who have suffered fuel vapuorisation due to engine bay temperatures and GBS rave on about that setup cos it means more money for them also that setup causes the fuel tank temperature to rise not good

Edited by tractor

i welded my swirl pot into the bottom of my rh stainless tank

tig welds ok, and didnt go boom

it could be done as a bolt in also i think with the right gasket material

its worth a look t see how bmw do it... the internal swirl pot is quite easy removed, just lift the back seat, and take out of tank

this is the pump i used, but threw away the rest.... even if its not useable, it may give you some idea's

i got the flanges/top plates laser cut for me, and have used viton rubber for the gasket

does not leak

Someone on here recently tried the foam (Brumster?) and it didn't work.

Best solution is an external swirl pot and HP pump, like the current Zero uses.

Yep, exactly, foam cubes made no difference for me.

Matt does have a point though, implying to a new visitor that fitting a land rover pump is a "cheap fix" at £35 might be hiding a lot of detail - work to modify the tank or have an adapter plate fabricated, and so forth... it depends on the car/tank of course. I'm not savvy with 2B petrol tanks.

• Like 1

To add to the mix I'm surprised at the anti two pumps and a swirlpot movement. There's space in the boot for all the bits. No idea why anyone would put them under the bonnet either. I use a cheap low pressure lift pump drawing through a cheap filter to fill the pot and a restricted return from the pot back into the tank. The HP pump draws from the base of the pot and then pumps through an injection filter and via 8mm copper to the rail and back in 6mm copper to the pot. It all fits in a six inch deep space behind the boot where it keeps cool.

Looks like this and admittedly is fiddly to work on due to the space. Cost £70. I have had problems with blocked filters due to dirty petrol and have had to replace both pumps at the roadside. (But I carry spares)

post-21-0-78002100-1526839896_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-72354600-1526839954_thumb.jpg