Carb Swap.

dandan62

I have a 1.6 pinto with the standard 28/30 carb. Is there a bigger one that would be a straight swap with no adaptation needed? I believe there is a 32/36 but which model? I love this little revvy engine but feel it could do a little more. Old carbs seem to be available cheaply.

They may not be a straight swap, check the fixing ctrs the 32/36 DGAV and the 38 DGAS are approximately 93 x 46 ctrs, I think some of the smaller carbs have different fixings. You will also have to do a bit of fiddling with the jet sizes

The linkage won't be hard, you just need to work out what you need once you have the manifold and carb on. The company I always use sell on ebay and would have everything you would need. Stuff ordered is always here within a couple of days and if you are unsure what you need they reply to questions rapidly. Have a look at a few weber items and you will find them, fast road cars.

Guest lotusPaul

You can take the induction system off a 2.0 pinto and bolt it to the 1600. This will open up avenues to fit the 38dgas from 3.0v6 essex, rated at 140bhp and flows enougth for more, if correctly jetted. Or just keep the 2.0 carb which can flow enough for further tuning.

The above is considered a simple straightforward swap,minor linkage corrections perhaps.

If you wanted to go further then dcoes at 40mm will flow a combined 200bhp, 50 per cylinder,give or take. This will future proff you if you wanted to swap to a 2.0 latter. Even basic settings are available on this site to get you running. Dhla will achieve the same too.

Wow. Even 100hp would be beyond my windiest dreams. I actually wouldn't want more than that as my 20 year old son has a heavy right foot so I need to protect him a bit. I won't tell him the potential is 200! I also want to protect the engine and drive train a little as I have no history and there are already noises from the gearbox or diff although they haven't got worse in 2 years.

Guest lotusPaul

You wont get 200 just with swapping carbs,but im sure you know that. All pintos are over square which means they like revs, high lift short duration cams are whats needed here, a decent scavaging exhaust and a solid electronic ignition.

Even the 1600 pinto can spin to 7500rpms with carb choices as above and an uprated cam. You would be happy with the results. 6k should develop 100bhp all day long. In fact looking back at the 1600GT it wore the 32/36 dgav weber which would make an ideal start point. 2.0cam and valve upgrades gave this 90bhp.

Already fitted the 2lt cam which gave a bit. Recently fitted an electronic accuspark dizzy which helped. I think the original dizzy was worn out anyway. I think I'll stick with the 32/36 upgrade as planned and not go mad. They seem easily available.