Led Wiring

nelmo

Probable stupid question alert: I've wired a simple LED strip with the 12V ignition to one wire, earth to the other and I'm blowing the 10A fuse every time I switch it on.

I know current=volts/resistance, so I guess the resistance of an LED strip (in one direction) is very small?

Is it normal to wire in some extra resistance with an LED strip or is there an alternative method?

Is this some sort of automotive LED strip that you *know* is designed to take 12v in? Do you have a link to the specs, for example?

Wiring up backwards wouldn't blow fuse, you'd just get nothing.

All I can think is one or more of the LEDs has blown, maybe because they were designed for a lower voltage, and have now melted in a fused (short) state, so every time you're turning them on they're just shorting out and blowing the fuse.

I can't find the exact listing but it was like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Flexible-Grill-Strip-Light/dp/B00A0EOPOS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1528815144&sr=8-19&keywords=short+led+strip

Specifically says for 12V car battery, if you can believe it.

Definitely wired the right way because the light came on briefly before the fuse goes.

EDIT: I have also got a USB charger port on the same circuit and that stopped working recently (before the LED strip was installed) - hmm, maybe that is the cause rather than the strip...urgh, dashboard off time again :(

So, this isn't an obvious gotcha that you need a resistor adding in to get an LED strip to work?

Edited by nelmo

Did you buy 4 strips & only blown one? If so try connecting another set with a small wattage 12 volt lamp in series, try say a 5 watt side light bulb (lamp) This will reduce the voltage & prevent a short circuit as the series lamp will glow at full brilliance if the test set is giving a very low resistance or dead short --- no fuses will blow with a proven good series lamp in circuit.

I've used those type no problem before. I would be thinking there is an issue elsewhere.

You can test those LED strips by just sticking them over the battery terminals too. At least, I have done that without death that is....