Plumbing Question

nelmo

I've replaced a leaky ball valve in my loft water tank but the connection to the main feed pipe is leaking a bit - a drop every few seconds.

Am I safe enough just trying to seal that with this tape:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p55262?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cDaBRBtEiwAsxprXV1GmJXLlmoRJJaYNOA5kXuFsRrTSxO93tMJYIv20HOkJ64cRsxFRhoCS0IQAvD_BwE

...or do I need to get a plumber in to solder (?) it?

(getting a plumber to do a tiny job like this is a flipping nightmare - they're never interested in such a small job)

Is it from a soldered joint? Is it from a screwed joint? Is it from a compression joint? If from a screwed joint then dissassemble and add PTFE tape to the male screw threads (or Boss White goo). If a compression joint then dissassemble and a new olive. If from a soldered joint then solder.

Another point is where are the drops going? If into the tank then relax a bit, check the overflow is water tight. You can take your time over the repair. If outside the tank then drip container and you need to fix faster.

Self amalgamating tape will never resist water pressure. It stretches and lifts.

Usually the leak is from the compression joint just outside the tank where the existing house pipe ends with a soldered bend and a short length of straight pipe, nut and olive. Remove the old olive, clean up pipe with fine emery or wetndry, new olive and do up nut. You can put a smear of Boss white or silicone under and over the olive but it shouldn't be needed.

You seldom have to solder repairs unless you want to. Most soldered fittings are available as bolt up fittings with compression olives.

Edited by Longboarder

I'm not a plumber but what have yougot to loose. I used this stuff when I worked for Sky putting up dishes and we used it to waterproof the connections on the dish. When wrapping it around make sure you stretch it as thats how it stick together

Can you post a pic of where the leak is. If you need to get it soldered I would think £45 - £90 to get it done. Should only take someone about 30 mins from arriving to finish, quick end of day job .

As Nigel says -- self amalgamating tape is for keeping stuff out not good at keeping stuff in. You probably only un-screwed a union to replace the valve so PTFE is your friend, just enough to start hiding the threads. IMO

• Like 1

As Nigel says -- self amalgamating tape is for keeping stuff out not good at keeping stuff in. You probably only un-screwed a union to replace the valve so PTFE is your friend, just enough to start hiding the threads. IMO

about 10 raps of page or use a bit of boss white on fitting seat, olive and thread.

Usually the leak is from the compression joint just outside the tank where the existing house pipe ends with a soldered bend and a short length of straight pipe, nut and olive. Remove the old olive, clean up pipe with fine emery or wetndry, new olive and do up nut. You can put a smear of Boss white or silicone under and over the olive but it shouldn't be needed.

Yup, that's where it is - I can't see an existing olive - does it get crushed in somewhere?

I'll have a go at that - many thanks for your detailed reply (and everyone else) :clapping:

(I have tried PTFE tape - didn't help)