Blue & Green Wire.....

Guest Great Scott!!

Guest Great Scott!!

hi all

i need some help with the headlight wiring i have 4 wires going to n/s headlamp and 5 going to the o/s headlamp, the 5th wire is blue & green, the haynes manual tells me this wire comes from the relay but question is where do i connect it up at the headlamp?

iv'e thrown the old sierra lights all i have left is the black plastic connector on the loom so this blue & green wire is puzzling me.

the donor was 1989 2.0 sierra

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Guest paul mercer

i have no definate answer, but my suggestion may be able to get someone else going down the right track. could it be part of the dim-dip circuit. didn't think sierras had one but i might be wrong. i know later cars run the dim dip system through a more complicated switch assy, but this may be an early simpler system(simple if you have an msc in car electrickery) can't be any better help than that i'm afraid.

you could be brave (or stupid) and re-wire your entire car from scratch like me! still not managed to get wipers wired in!!!!

Spot on. It is the dim dip return to relay no 34 in the Haynes diagram and you wire it as if it was the earth return from the main and dip beam bulbs. That relay directs it straight to earth for full power or applies a balancing reverse feed current to reduce power on dim dip. The sidelamp has a proper brown wire that goes direct to earth. Important to ensure the blue/green 'earth' and the brown do not have a common link in the bulb holder.

Nigel

Guest SteveL

Hi

Check the first post in the "Electrics" board (LINK) when someone asked a question about headlights. There's lots of good information about the different coloured wires, and what does what.

Because of the way that the wiring is done, don't bother trying to test the headlights until all the wires have found a home. You'll either get some strange results, or nothing at all.

If you get stuck, drop me an e-mail, as I have some handy annotated wiring diagrams of the external light wiring that shows exactly what should happen at each stage (ignition on/off, switch position 0/1/2)

Steve