Mx5 Engine And Box

Guest DonnieC

On 1/25/2020 at 9:43 AM, Richard Grove said:

Sump has been shortened

Can you explain a bit more about this, did you do it yourself or pay to have it done & what's involved?

Can I also ask what the black box is?

Selection_269.jpg

Guest mower man

Hi I live in  worksop and ran a 3a for 13 years and now have a92 mx 5 .give me a ring on 01909486422  I may be able to help I'm retired and in most days     mick

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 9:17 AM, phaeton said:

Can you explain a bit more about this, did you do it yourself or pay to have it done & what's involved?

Can I also ask what the black box is?

Selection_269.jpg

Hi, sorry for slow response I don’t come on here very often.

The sump was cut and prepped by me but welded by a pro, my nephew. It’s an aluminium casting so welding is not easy as it tends to be porous but he got it sealed eventually. I just cut about 30mm off the bottom of the sump and made a flat plate to weld back on. I just googled it and found links on other sites where others had already done it.

The black box on the right is fuse box from the Mazda loom. The black box on the left is fuel swirl pot with built in fuel pump. It was a cheap eBay purchase but seems to be working ok so far. 

Richard

• 5 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 9:43 AM, Richard Grove said:

I have been making steady progress with installing the MX5 engine and gearbox in my 2B.

Prop shaft has been modified.

Engine and gearbox mounts are done.

Sump has been shortened

Exhaust manifold has be modified

Floor mounted pedal box made utilising the MX5 pedals etc.

Now starting to work on the wiring and fuel system.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO87HaDccv1C1geXSmfIa2RuoCaiSgfV3jxKUY62Wy9OrQdxxILjAQvYmkpRIH4gA/photo/AF1QipNDWz86Rhkf3-84Z8kpvIAV6s2R0ozzA7VpIOoW?key=eGRhaWN3aHNKem9DX2YwbGc1cERYaU9MV3NLVnFn

Found this really useful just got a 2B and considering getting of ford engine and box as unknown and using a known running mx5

• 1 month later...

You might be getting a load more questions in the future, so please keep an eye on this site 🙂

My question is did you fabricate engine and gearbox mounts or are they available to purchase from somewhere?

Many thanks

Nick

You will need to fabricate everything yourself. In order to get adequate ground clearance you need to get the engine sitting in the chassis as high as you can with just a couple of millimetres clearance for the bonnet. I made the mounts myself, tacked them together and trial fitted engine and gearbox a few times before I was happy. I then had the mounts welded up professionally as my welding skills are basic.

We now have the car finished and ready for some more road testing, just waiting for the weather to improve.  Very pleased with results so far but just one issue to resolve. Engine runs great when cold but once warmed up it starts to stutter/hesitate when under load. 

Richard

• 10 months later...