Electric Fan Fitting

Pintogogo

I have just purchased a 12" 120W electric fan to try to aid cooling my 2.0 Pinto, I am fitting it on back of radiator between radiator and engine.

Bit of a daft question but... should it be wired to push air back towards radiator, or to pull air through radiator into engine compartment.

:sorry:

Edited by Pintogogo

Depends where you mount it. If you fit to front of the radiator then you want to push cold air through the radiator. If you fit as you describe at back of radiator between that and the engine you want it to pull cold air through the radiator

Guest mdav1970

I have one mounted as you are looking to fit it, and it sucks air through the radiator. I run the fan from start up, as from experience the engine warms very quickly, so i dont need it warming 1st. Been good till now, but in this heat i'm thinking of trying to mount it in front of radiator, which is a bit more difficult in the 3a than a 2b.

Edited by mdav1970

I was led to believe that they work more efficiently pulling air through rather than pushing. If you are marginal on cooling then it is probably worth getting an expensive good quality one rather than a budget version. Personally I think mine is a budget version but as I have no issues then I have left it for now. You need to seal all gaps around the radiator so that air entering the front of the car has to go through rather than around.

It's all about marginal improvements to get the best efficiency.

they work more efficiently pulling air through

Absolutely. Think of your tin top. There are good reasons why they all have the fan behind the radiator, sucking air through it. It is more efficient. You will also notice that fans usually have aerofoil shaped blades. Direction of rotation and orientation are important. (Think of a spitfire propeller. Run at at 1000 rpm anticlock it pulls a ton of air a minute. If you could run it at 1000rpm clockwise it would push less than half that.)

Guest mdav1970

Yeah I reckon I probably do need to keep it where it is and work on the air flow. The small nose cone opening on a seven is a lot smaller than most car grills, which doesn't help. Looking to feed extra air through top of nose cone by making a mesh cover3d opening..also as put, need to block all around the rad to maximise flow through it.

Edited by mdav1970

I mounted the rad and fan at the front of the Monocoque beam on my 3A, the fan fits on the rear of the rad. The nosecone still has a mesh grille to protect the rad from stones etc. I've put boat vents in the side of the bonnet to aid extraction

post-11418-0-79578500-1532931071_thumb.jpg