Totally O/t. Anyone Into Canoes?

Andi

My latest fad (and one I can do with the family) is Canoeing. Like most things I do apart from the kit, it may last about 2 years or so before I`m bored of it.

So I bought a Canadian canoe and took it out for it`s maiden voyage a couple of days ago on a stretch of the River Soar and adjoining canal. A short journey in and docked it in Pillings Marina where we ate so much food that Im surprised we didnt sink on the way back.

We only did a couple of miles but had a great time and are thinking of doing it for a couple of days possibly staying on a river/canal b and b.

Does anyone else do this or have any good suggestions of places to go.

And no Richy.... We are not going anywhere near the sea like you mad pair do. :crazy:

Andi

I love paddling on Derwentwater in the Lake District. I launch from Derwentwater Marina, Portinscale near Keswick. Heading south there's a small island we call One Tree Island from there we follow the shoreline where we often see Heron and Alpacca. Then it's across the lake to St. Herbert's Island before returning north. Remember to wear bouyancy aids, take waterproofs and a picnic and you will have a great adventure.

Guest jhfozzy

If you're new to the sport then a few lessons make a lot of difference to how well you do over distance in an open canoe.

A few degrees of turn to your knees makes a lot of difference to the power you can put down and makes your stroke much more efficient.

There are plenty of videos online regarding all disciplines of canoeing.

Make sure you get membership if you can. Around £40 gets you insurance, access agreements to canals etc.

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/

Or in Wales

https://www.canoewales.com/

Feel free to ask any questions.

John

Hi Andi, I joined my local club a couple of years ago. Cheap as chips and I automatically Get BCU membership. Great bunch of mates and instruction one night a week. It's not a good idea to go paddling alone out on the North Sea or on our fast flowing rivers up here in the frozen north so we paddle as a club. Enjoy.

Guest jhfozzy

Red7 just so you know, from this year club membership does not automatically get you BCU membership. For some reason they are making you buy it seperately.

I have had sit on top kayaks for several years now. I originally bought a two seater that my daughter and I could go fishing with. Then I bought two single seaters for the children to mess about on the river on. Finally as the big one was awkward to load on the roof rack of the car I bought a big single seater which is properly fitted out for fishing but more importantly it had better handles. I took this one to Devon with me and went out and caught a couple of fish off the coast.

I don't go out unless it is flat calm with a favourable wind though, I got to 30 by sheer luck, since then I've relied on caution, research and ppe. I'm going away again next week and will take one big one and one small one with me, we just post them in through the front window of the caravan.