Super Spec Front Engine Mount

geordie40

Hi all Super spec owners

I dont suppose some one can take a photo of the front engine mount and which hole it bolts into engine, I found today that the bolt from the mount to then engine had sheared god knows how long its been like it, but this is probably why my rear gearbox rubber mounts split.

Anyway I forgot to take a photo and I cant remember which hole it goes into, if I fit it into the lower of the holes (as in photo) the my gearbox seems to fit better but I cant get bonnet on as previous owner fitted a support, but if I fit it in the top hole then my gearbox is sitting to near the top of transmission tunnel.

Photos welcome please post-14299-0-50344600-1533401434_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy, another Superspec anomaly, the bracket that is attached to the welded one on the chassis has Ford written on it!!.

Are you fiddling with the cooling system or is this an old photo?

Edited by geordie40

It’s a photo from last year when I had to remove the radiator to get at the front engine mount. The L shaped plate that goes over the cross tube had cracked so I had a new bracket made and welded on.

Well Ive fixed it into the lower of the 2 holes which in turn lowers the rear of my gearbox (need new mounts now because the ones I bought are to big now!!), I tried ti fit it in to the top hole but even with the engine hanging there with no support under sump I would have to push down on the engine slightly to make it fit which cant be right can it?

Sorry. Should have been more precise. Engine hanging on a single bolt at the front. The engine seems to have been originally designed for fitment of two bolts and possibly a dowel in some installations which would seem more appropriate. One instance of shearing of this bolt now reported. Just fitting a new 8.8 bolt in the right hole doesn't seem enough to me. Examination as to the cause of the failure should be done. Understrength or possibly loosened in use seem likely candidates as the cause. There may well be other possibilities. Take what steps you can with replacement choice and regular tightness checks to avoid repetition of the failure.

A redesign for greater resilience would be not unreasonable. Richard's almost manic brilliance in designing monos and 2bs did lead to some detail failures as evinced by three reported failures in steering rack supports in superspecs or enginebay cracks or unscrewing of peugeot lower ball joints in monos. Detail design alterations can mitigate against known weak points.

• Like 1

My bracket is different from Alan's and Andy's as they seem to have 2 bolts attaching there mount to the block, don't know why one of different other than my Super Spec is one of the oldest according to Alan.

I have a feeling it was broken before I bought it as I've had to remove a bonnet support from the top of cam cover the previous owner had made and this may be the reason my rubber gearbox mounts split as engine was leaning downwards.

Took it for a quick blast and it did seem to pull away better without as much vibration but it could be my imagination!!

Will monitor situation, hopefully it's all ok as I'm no fabricator or welder to make something up.