Calibrating The Oil Pressure Sensor

nelmo

My oil pressure gauge has never worked properly - it always shows a value off the scale. I've been told to send the sensor (or gauge?) off to be calibrated but i was wondering if this was a DIY job?

My feeble grasp on electrics suggests a load resistor in the signal wire from the sensor should bring the current down to a level that the gauge can actually display.

I've used a standalone oil pressure gauge so i know what pressure i get at idle - if i experiment with a few different resistor loads, does this sound feasible?

Electrical gauges need to run off a stabilized supply, often 8 volts.

If connected to the 12 to 14 volts from the battery they over read.

A resistor can work but the gauge reading will vary a bit with battery voltage.

This is why the fuel gauge is always operated off a stabilized supply.

I don't mind about the needle wandering about a little, i just want to be able to tell that i have some pressure.

Out of interest, where do we get a stabilised supply from in our cars? I have the standard GBS loom - is there something built into that for the fuel gauge?

If you go down the calibration route, to ensure it is done accurately you'd have to calibrate the whole loop, sensor, cable & gauge.

It's no good doing one or the other (or both) as you may have a potential unknown voltage drop between the two in your loom, causing errors.

If you have standalone gauge, couldn't you do a comparison at varying rpm (almost like spot calibrations) via a temporary 'T' piece, this will give you a known offset to apply.

Simpler than trying to find a suitable resistor or full calibration (& cheaper)

Value off the scale usually means the sensor isnt earthed to the block properly, did you use ptfe tape or sealant?

Also check wiring for continuity

I did have a gauge that had wires transposed same reading off the gauge as a bad earth

Other option is to buy a calibrated sensor first-off. KA Sensors would be my recommendation. You get a spec sheet with the sensor showing voltage range and calibrated pressures at specified voltages (or temperatures/etc).

But then you need a specific gauge of course, or something that can be adjusted to match. So it's all a bit high-end really. Most of the time you just want to know a ballpark figure - is there any oil pressure at all :) I don't care whether it's 15 or 20 psi, as long as it's not 0 :)

• Like 1

Fit a mechanical one, easy to do and reliable. I couldn't find one that matched the rest of my gauges so I put it in a little housing and stuck it to my transmission tunnel under the dash with double sided gorilla tape until I had a better idea. Still there a year later.