Fusible Link Alternative

AndyW

A question for the electrical experts, as I'm about to do some work on my Superspec wiring to sort out the rat's next of cabling and add extra fuses and relays.

Looking at wiring diagrams in various Haynes manuals, I noticed that many older cars seem to have a fusible link between the battery and the rest of the permanent live circuits, with something like a 60 amp rating. Presumably this gives some protection for the alternator circuit and the wiring upstream of the normal fuses.

Is it worth adding something like that while I'm redoing my loom? And if so, are fusible links still used in modern cars, or what's the recommended alternative nowadays?

Andy

Our Sierra donor loom had a fusible link in the main feed from the battery to supply all circuits bar the starter -- we re-used it on Florins wiring when we built the loom from scratch.

Without going & opening up the depths of the car I believe it's a red cable about 6mm csa , no idea though of the rating --- anything less than a dead short has got to be useful, which is the case if cables to fuse box are just cables.

Edited by florin metal works

Thanks Dave & cb750. It looks as though midi and mega fuses are much the same thing, except megafuses are larger and go to higher amperages.

Ill go for a 60 amp midi fuse and holder. Hope thatll be high enough to protect all the circuits.