Jim Clark- Best Motor Racing Driver Ever!?

Guest Moog6

Hi,

Who like me, agrees that Jim Clark was the best there ever was and ever will be? :clapping:

He died 50 years ago April gone.

He is still talked about and still very much respected! I am a huge fan! Dave 8)

post-14302-0-87303300-1537991952_thumb.jpg

I don't think you can ever say 'this guy was the best' - just too many factors involved (ability of the car, quality of rivals etc, etc).

Personally, I think the whole F1 grid are as good as each other and it's just down to the cars. Put Hamilton in a Williams right now and let's see how well he does 8)

I'm afraid I'm not a great fan of car racing - if you want decent racing, watch MotoGP, that's proper, edge-of-the-seat stuff. This is an example of one of the best race endings EVER (and the best commentary team IMO):

• Like 2

I don't think you can ever say 'this guy was the best' - just too many factors involved (ability of the car, quality of rivals etc, etc).

Personally, I think the whole F1 grid are as good as each other and it's just down to the cars. Put Hamilton in a Williams right now and let's see how well he does 8)

I'm afraid I'm not a great fan of car racing - if you want decent racing, watch MotoGP, that's proper, edge-of-the-seat stuff. This is an example of one of the best race endings EVER (and the best commentary team IMO):

Agreed. That was an awesome race.

Jim Clark knew how to race a car. So it's the Driver not the car! The car is a unit, it's function and techs already established! But the Driver must operate that car. Jim did this with all his cars! That's why he was always called "Mr Smooth". He was so graceful when he drove. Jim treated all his cars with great respect. Got to know the car and made it work for him. Not like the rest who thrashed their cars, and they wonder why they were always braking down and didn't win. The Top drivers at that time just didn't know the answer to how Jim could handle the cars so easy. Just imagine what else he would have achieved had he lived. He was only 32 when he so tragically died.

That's why he was the best and always will be!

Dave 8)

"When I were a lad"......I regularly cycled to Brands to watch anything going on.

The most thrilling races I watched were between Mike Hailwood and Giacamo Agostini.

They were riding almost un rideable bikes, too much power for the frames, which

twisted every which way. Those guys had steel balls.......

I'm probably biased because I could then stand right at the side of the track & be deafened.

I'd love to see Rossi race in person, he looks scary just on the TV.

• Like 1

"When I were a lad"......I regularly cycled to Brands to watch anything going on.

The most thrilling races I watched were between Mike Hailwood and Giacamo Agostini.

They were riding almost un rideable bikes, too much power for the frames, which

twisted every which way. Those guys had steel balls.......

I'm probably biased because I could then stand right at the side of the track & be deafened.

I'd love to see Rossi race in person, he looks scary just on the TV.

Bob when I were a LAD I was lucky enough to meet Mike Hailwood when he had just got off the Honda 250 6 that he rode on the IOM TT in 1967. I was with a couple of guys who worked next door to my place of work. They worked for Stanley Schofield SOUND STORIES and as I was on holiday on the IOM during Diamond Jubilee TT week they asked me to come with them with the Sound Recorder for them to make the LP's of the TT. I tried to shake hands with Mike and all he could offer me was his leather elbow, he showed me the palms of his hands that were covered in blisters as he explained when you open the throttle there is so much power all it can do is keep shaking its head ! ............ As Bob rightly says they had the steel balls and the hands to match ! He was also an absolute pleasure to watch :db:

Giacomo Agostini was also very very amiable too :acute:

Edited by Steve49er
  • Like 1