2.0 Pinto Mis Fire

Guest Derzo

Hi everyone, just bought a rh with a 2.0 pinto with twin 40,s bought as a non runner. It's had a full service, timing belt, cap, arm and leads. When I drive it it drives OK till about 2500-3000 then misfires a bit then clears. The vacuum advance is disconnected and timing is set to 14 BTDC anyone have any ideas for this newby.

Hi Derzo,

What ignition system are you running? Is it a standard cam? I suspect ignition but would also be interested in the jets sizes in twin 40s it can make a difference. Timing can vary based in these factors and can vary TDC to between 10-16 degrees, lower down you will probably get some pinking. At roughly 3000-3500rpm I would expect to see about 38 degrees dependant on above, I was taught to start there and work backwards to idle.

With standard ignition with out vacuum or tps you struggle to get the fuel air mixture spot on for all rpms or load.

Hi.

Just a thought here from someone who is not an expert! I'm running a similar set up on a 2.0l pinto. Mikuni R1 carbs using a Dan ST inlet so there is no vacuum feed for the dizzy. I swapped out the standard dizzy (which was electronic for the original EFi) and replaced with a centrifugal / spring advance one. I don't seem to have any issues. If the dizzy you have on your pinto requires the vacuum advance and its not hooked up you'll never get the right ignition timing apart from the static 14 degrees BTDC

Kevin

Hi Derzo,

What ignition system are you running? Is it a standard cam? I suspect ignition but would also be interested in the jets sizes in twin 40s it can make a difference. Timing can vary based in these factors and can vary TDC to between 10-16 degrees, lower down you will probably get some pinking. At roughly 3000-3500rpm I would expect to see about 38 degrees dependant on above, I was taught to start there and work backwards to idle.

With standard ignition with out vacuum or tps you struggle to get the fuel air mixture spot on for all rpms or load.

I would normally use 8-10 at idle for a standard cam and 34 to 36 at 3,600rpm

More cam and more compression I would expect a bit more at idle and 32-34 max