Timing Problems 1.6 Pinto

dandan62

I put a new accuspark dizzy on with the stealth module because the old original dizzy on my 1.6 pinto was worn. I used to have the timing at about 10 degs. It now runs with a huge amount of pinking at that setting. I have it set at about 2.5 degs to not pink. It runs best at idle at about 8. On the road it seems to run ok. It's hard to explain why it has changed? Any thoughts. Also is there any problem running it at 2.5 degs? I obviously want to avoid pinking.

I have checked all static timing at tdc which are fine. Anyway I have not altered anything else.

If you have a strobe check the actual timings at idle then at 100rpm, 2,000rpm 3,000rpm and find where your max advance is.

Should be 3,600 to 3,800 but could be as low as 3,200.

I thought acuspark had a screw setting on the dizzy that gave you different curve options

You add your static(idle timing to the acuspark timing i.e. 10 degrees static plus 24 degrees maximum which gives 34 degrees at 3,600rpm

Max advance seems to be 35 degs at 3400 so in the right ball park.

Thanks for the offer of the modules swap but tricky with the distance.

if you get really stuck i can post them to you. Good luck getting it sorted. I spent a fair while and `gave up' and just swapped out parts.

Been away for a few days so back to this problem. Am I wrong or does the stealth unit just deal with dwell and not the timing? Therefore the problem is with the dizzy advancing too fast? I'll do a rough curve to see what is going on. Actually still pinking at 2.5 degs.

Could be but in my experience pinking is more likely to be down to lean fuel or ignition fault, rarely carbon with the fuel additives of today. Whip out a spark plug and let us know the colour (photo would be great). Advance timing can also create linking so please double check timing, finally turn up the fuel mixture.