Timing Problems 1.6 Pinto

dandan62

I may put the old one back but it involves resurrection of the old Sierra wiring which I had done quite a good job of tidying away.It never linked with it but didn't run smoothly. Found worn shaft and mechanical advance jammed. Vacuum advance leaked. Yes it only pinks under load but not only the usual high gear up hill but acceleration at reasonable revs. So..

Cam timing is correct. Checked

Mixture good.

2 different makes of distributor and electronic ignition units tried.

Runs most sweetly highest revs when at idle at about 9 degs btdc. Pinks badly

Pinking better but still there at 3 degs. Don't want to retard more. Not got the power it has at 9 degs.

Running super unleaded

• 5 months later...

I'm back. I took the car off the road for the winter and rather forgot about the pinking. With a fresh new year head it is almost solved. I unplugged the vacuum advance and hey presto no pinking! It seems the vacuum is advancing things a bit agressively. I want it connected for the usual reasons so next step is to reinstate the various valves that used to be in line in the old carb but not used in this one. I believe these delay the vacuum advance. Just waiting for some extra hose and connectors. Hopefully problem solved simply! 

Be aware that some of the valves or flame traps are one way valves used between manifold and servo.

i mistakenly added one before the vacuum line to the Megajolt and as vacuum increased it set the advance at 1 level and stayed there

There are two types of valves in the system. One is indeed a fuel vapour trap and the other is the vacuum delay valve. This is the one I'm pinning my hopes on. Otherwise I'll get into the dizzy and adjust the vacuum advance manually I think. The car seems to run fine with no pinking with it disconnected but I'm aware of all the advantages of vacuum advance. I'll report back when it's all connected.

I unplugged the vacuum advance and hey presto no pinking! It seems the vacuum is advancing things a bit agressively. I want it connected for the usual reasons

Which are what on a seven? Cruise economy on a shopping car perhaps. It adds nothing on a seven.

I would ditch the vacuum advance and block the vacuum take-off for it. Never used it on my pinto. I removed the unit from the bosch inductive dizzy and fixed the baseplate so it wouldn't move. Just ran on the mechanical advance.

Do another trial measure of advance against rpm without the vacuum advance and post it up.

Check with accuspark if they advise you run it.