Mazda 1800 Rolling Road Results

Mrbarry

I've seen figures in MX5s range from 150-180 bhp. Depends on your starting point and any other mods. I think the GBS exhaust system made up for any losses over 26 years on my 115k miles 1.6 engine so will be interested to see where you end up

I had the MK1 1.8 in my SR2 which pushed out 130bhp in standard form. ITB will give approx 15-20bhp over injection ?(Roadrunner have done a few of these). However supercharging gives a nice 240bhp :db: and loads of torque

The MK2 1.8 I think is up by 10 bhp ish on the MK1 8)

Moog6 was tuned up a couple of months ago, 111 mph flat out on rolling road which isn't bad with type 40 webs and a 1984 2ltr engine!

Engine is in fantastic condition!!

I'm very lucky!

Dave. 8)

Results are in. 140bhp torque curve is flat and smooth tho and engine runs sweet as a nut now.

Got to fit new ignition leads because they are apparently poor, Ive been advised to replace the battery (so I have) it was causing popping and banging on cold start because of volts drop. Then check the ITBs are balanced, change the throttle cable set up so that there isnt sooooooooooo much travel between zero and full throttle, then put fresh fuel in and Ill get another check and tweak. The fuel was over 12 months old and I never thought about it until today :-O rookie mistake to make.

On the drive home I discovered the brakes are sticking on slightly, stopped on a hill and it didnt roll. Put a tow under the brake and lift the pedal 5mm to the top and it rolls back. So need to fit a return spring on the peddle. I do wonder if that was binding on the dyno. Never know now.

Other jobs

Rewrap the nose cone.

Retrim the tunnel cover.

Get the speedo working (sensor issue)

Stop the exhaust rattle

Swap the light/wiper stalks for late spec ones I have.

Fit new wheels and rubber (coming Saturday :-D)

Drive it lots.

Should keep me busy.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

140bhp on a MK1 1.8 with ITB is bang on the money...so a pretty good result by the looks of it. Plenty of power for one of these cars. The Turbo or supercharger should give you 210+ bhp and a significant increase in Torque.. IMHO anything above 200bhp is just boasting rights in the pub, as you will rarely be able to use it as rear tyres will just spin (which can also be fun😎)

Enjoy, 

Agreed she goes well at 140. I made adjustments to the brake peddle and reservoir so they no longer stick on, and on inspection the throttle bodies where only opening to about 75 degrees with the peddle fully depressed. I made a twin throttle linkage so I can adjust the throw and rest position, now I get 90 degrees WOT at full travel and the rest position is just below the brake peddle whilst braking so I can heal and toe, mainly because I like to blip on a down shift.

Next week I am going to do a bit more work shortening the throttle cable and adding strength to the peddle cover because it moves around when you push the throttle peddle, then it’s off for a quick map tweak. Not expecting a lot more power, 142 would be pleasing enough.