Robin Hood Exmo, From Barn To Iva

NickandNeil

Good news - I had the Mountney wheel and Westfield's (old) solution uses the same - a Mountney wheel with a rubber pad over the centre. I was at Stoneleigh and they had the pad for sale, snapped it up, fitted over my Mountney wheel centre, passed IVA.

So I can recommend that route for you - just get the pad, pop it on your existing wheel, job's a good'un ;)

Guest MrToad

pcd is 82mm by my measurements and there are 6 fixings. It hasn't a horn button because I have remotely fitted horn jack so that quick release wheels are easier to use. Boss was taken off an existing Sierra wheel as had trouble getting a reasonably priced centre that included the locking ring as this was my secondary isolation device for the IVA. I only bought this for the IVA as it was a guaranteed approval and came without the boss for the same price as selling. 

If determined to keep centre push either Brumster' suggestion or revert to the original once IVA approvedP1040407.JPG.f490f415dfc3a88266a1555f81cee588.JPG.P1040408.JPG.afa078a804b8c429b032e7c3294baac6.JPG

Thanks for the advice on the shocks.  We have listened and decieded to keep the sierra main springs and fit a pair of capri shock's.  The advantage is that the shock's are now upright so should work better.  We had new upper brackets made for the upper mounts that could be bolted to the strong side bar.  (see Attached photo.)  This also gives us the option for coil overs in the future.

Thanks Mr Toad I will talk to Nick and let you know.

Brumster, when you say you got a rubber cover from Stoneliegh that does not mean anything to me.  Do you have an adress or website so I can see one?

Thanks for the advice on the steering wheel.  Does anyone have an old rev counter?  The speedometer is 4" and come off a cortina (smiths) I think with a chrome bezel and a blck face,  It needs to be negative earth.

Edited by NickandNeil

Another query, Is this acceptable for the IVA.  The subframe of the Ford Sierra in the picture is exposed just infrontof the rear wheel.  I think I can remember reading in One of our forums that they want them to be covered.  I have looked back through them and cannot find the origional thread.  Has anyonr any thought on the legality?yy

sub frame.JPG

I think that is more aimed at some of the earlier, narrower Sierra models where the subframe protruded outside of the body; in these cases they were often covered with a small dome (not sure whether it was stainless or GRP). It all depends if the part you're looking at there is below the "floor line", and that's defined in Annex 1 of the exterior projections - basically if you imagine a 30 degree cone on the floor, sitting flat on the floor and then pushed up to the car, where is touches the car at the front, back, sides, etc. defines the floor. At a very simple level, if you can put a flat ruler onto the edge of the stainless panel in that photo, and put it at an angle of 30 degree down under the car.... then if it touches the subframe, it needs to be rounded edges and so forth (all the usual exterior projections rules). Or cover it (but obviously whatever you cover it with also has to meet those rules).

If however it's below that floor line (ie. the cone doesn't hit it) then it's not something to worry about but - looking at is - I don't suspect that's the case (ie. you have to consider it) :(

• 9 months later...

Sorry about the delay on this thread. When we realised there was no way to finish the car car in the summer of 19. Everything went on the back burner.

Now spring is here we are keen again I'm ready to go in earnest, we fabricated a simple triangular plate to hide front of the rear suspension. See picture, it seems to have tidied it up.

IMG_20200419_114531.jpg