Robin Hood Exmo, From Barn To Iva

NickandNeil

I guess that is the problem with trying to get an older design through a modern IVA. The GBS chassis has well-sorted seatbelt mounts, they tell you to put the indicators on the nose etc. Presumably when the Exmo was current, those were not issues for SVA(?).

Well done on working through them and all looks good for the re-test (although the lack of support for the coolant pipe seems a harsh fail - I'm not sure mine is any better than yours).

Hi, I did not notice this thread before, I must be asleep. I have been rebuilding an Exmo for a long while and will go through all your posts more carefully. The one I am rebuilding was very hastily thrown together by myself in 1999 just before the end of the world, just past what was then SVA, on the road for a bit, no WS, no carpets, plywood seats, see road out of back etc, then in a garage till 3 years ago when I remembered what was under a tarp under a load of junk. Shocking what time can do, worst thing a leak of battery acid (no I had not removed it) eaten a hole through the car like that creature in Alien. Oh, sorry yes, get to the point Sparepart!, I Have just gone through the trauma of shaping those thick steel winscreen pillars, so have the windscreen (another construction challenge) in place. I have cut the square bit of SS that has the four demister vents punched into four seperate vents ..... here is the question ... how far away from the base of the windsceen have you fitted yours? and how are they distrubted about the centre line? .. a photo would obviously tell a thousand tales. BTW I did read about using the Capri shocks, I have fitted even shorter ones from a mini. I wish you good luck on your re-test, looking at your photos of the re-build you have done a great job. Back in 1999 we were told that this kit would not get through the "new regs" that were coming, so do it now or never, you are proving them wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who were interested I carried on the conversation with Spare part over messenger but this is the gist of it. 

do they work? Honestly not sure on that count, we don’t have any wet weather gear at the moment so have never been in the situation of having them steam up. Though we do get a good blast of hot air out of ours. I will be working on the car this weekend so I’ll make a note and get you a picture of our set up but I think they are around 2-3 inches away from the base of the window. You will see on our picture we have 4 demist vents but actually only two are connected (the other two covering badly drilled holes from earlier in the build. 
hope this helps

243116B4-FAE6-42DA-841A-0893B01C30D6.jpeg.2730d722c86c55812f1d52b46fcfe3ad.jpeg

B6FBE238-1B38-4390-9E5D-22ECBC96C6FA.jpeg.b0f316f0beea67fe5186f5be568035ef.jpeg

80C2E27D-0139-42EE-80E2-BECA178B5DDE.thumb.jpeg.b69d6ad505f51046c1ef9bd3f03b26b5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

It passed.

Finally after two years of reconstrution and twenty four years after the first owner bought it.

Looking back over the whole process of getting it ready for the IVA, we couldn't have done it without the help and advice of RHO members.

If we were to do this again, I would not worry about getting it through first time.  There were lots of mods and improvements we did not need to do, and we could have saved a lot of time and money.

They rarely get through first time, and the test guy was very helpful with his advice.  He also said it is rare for them to not go through a second time if you take note of what the tester is telling you.

They are not the ememy.

• Like 2