Pretty Sure Its A Blown Head Gasket

Guest Hawaii Steve

Guest Hawaii Steve

Engine runs fine but what looks like steam is coming from my valve cover, also i have brown coolant with bubbles so I'm pretty sure the head gasket is gone. Did a compression test and it read 110--110--105--120. Good news is there is no coolant in the oil as far as I can tell. (have not drained it yet however). So the question is since i'm pulling the head, what else should I do besides the gasket, timing belt, and water pump?

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

Is it not just engine breathing? The Pintos are fairly heavy breathers but your compression test figures are low, did you do it with the throttle wide open? I got 160-170 when i tested my old engine.

Andy

Blocks are strong and stable but check flatness anyway. The cylinder head although cast iron can warp. Mine did. Best to strip the head and get it skimmed flat just as you would with any aluminium head. Then you can use any standard head gasket. Maybe ARP head bolts or new standard.

Guest Hawaii Steve

Thanks all for the tips. I did pull the head today (the easiest head I’ve ever pulled). Head gasket does look like there was a small leak between 3 and 4 but it was not a blow out like I’m use to seeing. Overall the head looks good and straight but I’ve ordered a guaranteed .001 straight edge to confirm the head and block. My timing belt has a small rip in it and the crank pulley has about a 1” x .5” chip on the flange so it needs to be replaced. The crank timing cog looks like someone put a wrench on it and the flange washer is not straight so they also need to be replaced. (Not sure how that cog comes off yet however). So now I’m ordering lots of parts to put things back right. Once they all show up (it takes time when you live in Hawaii), i believe I will have it running again in a few hours.

Andy, I suspect you must have a performance cam and a shaved head to get readings in the 160’s. Theoretically my standard 9.2 compression ration should be about 135 in a perfect world. I did the compression test dry with only the plugs removed, nothing else. Hopefully with a new head gasket and valve adjustment I will be between 115 and 120 on all cylinders which would suit me fine. (I have a go-fast car so the 7 is just for tooling around the island)

Steve

These are the expected compression figures

CR Fast

STD Road Rally Race

8:1 146 139 132 124

9:1 171 162 153 145

10:1 196 186 176 166

11:1 221 210 199 188

First column compression ratio

Second standard cam

Etc

A restrictive carb such as a single twin choke will show lower figures than a choke per port

Edited by Snapperpaul
  • Like 1