Throttle Cable Routing

nelmo

Your pics at the top of this post presumably show the throttle position at rest/closed so there should be enough inner cable to effect a join clear of the outer sleeve adjuster/bulkhead fitting. A small sleeve with just a hole through it to take the old & new piece of inner cable will make the join.

Slide the inners into the sleeve then close up the through hole by hammering a small blunt punch to the side in two or three places.

Silver solder would be an alternative if cables can be well cleaned.

Niel, Im assuming you'll come up with a working solution, but also make sure you have a throttle pedal stop

that prevents the pedal moving any more once the throttle is wide open.

Its easy to break a cable if the pedal can continue to move once the TB is fully open,

& the old right foot is pressing on!

Ive also taken a look at a blow up of your picture.

It is a bit heath robinson, but I cant see anything wrong with the design, from that angle anyway.

The weakest part of the cable will be where the screw tightens up on it in the clevis.

Any extra pressure (see above suggestion) will break it at that point.

I think the threaded adjuster may be a red herring.

I'll PM my phone number, feel free to give me a call....its easier to describe than type!.

• 1 year later...
Guest adrianeaton

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been looking for a part that is in your photo above and I can't find it anywhere, largely I suspect because I don't know the name of it. Its the bit that has 2 grub screws to hold the throttle cable and a thread on the other end of it to attach to the clevis or in my case a right angle fiting. Can you help on what to search for?

I've found the angle part I need already here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-Head-Joint-Rod-End-Bearing-M5-M6-M8-M10-Right-Angle-CS8-CS10-CS13-CS16/173974979995?var=472757131042 but I need a straight connector that takes a cable on one end and has a thread on the other. 

Thanks,
Adrian.

They're typically used on wire rope/cable for suspending fixtures and fittings. I think if you search around that you'll probably have more success. Quick google :

https://www.tecni.uk/wire-rope-fittings

https://www.tecni.uk/6mm-Stainless-M8-RH-Jaw-Tensioner-Fitting-160.800.060

Edited by brumster