Timing Belt Tensioner

Guest Hawaii Steve

Guest Hawaii Steve

My box of goodies just showed up from Burton's (amazing quick) and I'm ready to start putting things back together. When I removed the timing belt I just loosed up the old tensioner to avoid having to deal with the spring but now that I have a new tensioner It's time to pull the old one off.

I'm always leery of things with thick springs. Are there any tricks to replacing the timing belt tensioner? I searched the forum and the internet but can't find anything specific for the Pinto 2.0 engine when it comes to that spring.

Thanks

Steve

Haven't used one of those early spring type tensioners on the pinto for ages but from what I remember you can remove it with no problems once it has been slackened to to take the tension off the belt as it's not under tension side to side. Just slacken the fixing bolt steadily.

Just looked in another manual on rebuilding the pinto and it just says "remove central bolt and remove spring tensioner".

Rob

Edited by cb750

Hey,

I've just looked in my haynes manual and on page 30 it talks about cylinder head removal and how to remove the tensioner it says

8.3 Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt and pivot using the special splined socket (photo). Press the tensioner against the spring tension and tighten the bolt to retain it in it's released position

If that makes any sense? the picture shows a splined tool in the bolt the spring coils are around.

I can take a pic of the page if you want.

I'm not 100% sure how you are meant to tension the belt but mine doesn't have the spring so i lever it tight and tighten the bolt. I then check the tension by twisting the belt on it's longest run 90degrees. If you can turn it more than 90 it's too loose, less than too tight. Not sure if that's the proper way but its how i've done it on mine numerous times over the past 10 years.

hth

Guest Hawaii Steve

hth, thanks!! I removed the tensioner this morning and it came off without any surprises. I have also read on the net that your 90 degree process is the way to go.

Steve

According to my rebuild manual, with the spring tensioner type, after the belt is positioned correctly with the tensioner backed off you release the tensioner so that it can tension the belt. It then says that because this has only tensioned one part of the belt you turn the engine half a turn clockwise and THEN tighten the locking bolt/nut on the tensioner.

hahaha 'HTH' is forum abbreviation for 'hope that helps' not my name :) Sorry i spend too much time on the internet.

either way hopefully it was in some part useful.

I'm interested to know your story as Hawaii is one of the last places i'd expect to find a 7. Is it s 'Robin hood' or something else? did you build it/import it?

Guest Hawaii Steve

Funny!!! It is a Robin Hood built in 1983 with a Pinto 2.0 crate engine, Sierra 5 speed and Sierra diff. Looks like all of the suspension is from a Sierra MK1. It was brought here from Atlanta Georgia USA by the previous owner about 2 years ago. (It was an internet purchase). He spent a lot of money on it but could never get it right so decided to unload it at what I thought was a very decent price. I have lots of toy cars and always wanted a 7 so I jumped at the opportunity and have been whipping it into shape for the last month or so. Once I get it legal in about a week, it should be a perfect car for sunny days on the island.

Steve