Land Owner Register

Mrbarry

Im moving house shortly and have found a place with a big garage. Thats the important part over now onto the trivia.

The house is in a village and has views on two sides of farmland as far as the eye can see. Only issue is will it be built upon in the future? You never know do you. Im paying for the views but Im not buying them.

The house has a river for the boarder of the garden on two sides, the same sides as the views, so I know no one can build super close to that, but does anyone have any good sites or links to planning applications, land owners registers etc? Yes my solicitor will do these searches but whilst Im waiting I was interested in looking my self.

You can pull up the land registry records for a small fee online. Search "land registry".

Planning applications are probably available on the relevant council website - depends where it's covered. Normally you can do a postcode search then wade through it all to see what's on the horizon.

It's worth finding out what zoning the surrounding land is in, this will dictate what can be done with it - that's not to say it can't change in the future but it should give you some guidance on what's *likely* (or not) to happen with the land. Again, the local council will have a policy and guidelines for planning permission - it will set out their rules/precedents for different zones of land.

Im moving house shortly and have found a place with a big garage. Thats the important part over now onto the trivia.

:rofl: that was exactly my attitude when we were looking for a new place last year - a big garage with some rooms attached... :) (sadly never happened though....)

You can search for existing planning applications but that isn't going to help in the long-term - someone could come along the day after you move in and apply for a new cement works on the land. Best thing you can do is try buy up some of the land yourself, if you happen to win the lottery sometime soon... :crazy:

On our local planning authority pages there is an 'Interactive planning map' where you can enter a postcode or address and then tick individual boxes to show any current planning applications, old applications, green belt areas, tree preservation orders and lots of other things that I don't understand (S106 etc)

Anyway if there is a similar map on the site of your planning authority it might help.

(By the way I knew it was there but it took me a while to find it as the navigation isn't too clear)

Malcolm

A section 106 agreement is made between a developer and local authorities for a proposed development to help it get through planning applications where it would not normally do so. Such as building on a flood plain, developer says we will give every household a canoe and life jacket. Authority says give me a massive back hander and we have an agreement. Job done

• Like 2

yeah sadly the fields behind my house are earmarked for building. Luckily the house further down knew this would eventually happen and bought a strip of land off the farmer years ago so i have my garden then his garden before the field so hopefully won't be as bad as it could have been (as long as he doesn't sell the strip of land :( )

If there are big trees you can get tree preservation orders on them even if it isn't your land.

As above though if you can buy the land as agricultural land it's much cheaper. Just do a deal with the farmer and have a clawback agreement so he knows you aren't going to profit from it.