Floor Strengh

Guest Dakes

Yes, I welded some 6mm by 60mm flat bar from side to side 2 off the correct distance for the seat runners. I drilled through these and the floor as when you bolt the seat runners down it pulls everything together. I then welded of these for the harness mounts and triangulated back to the chassis.

25mm square box sat on top of the floor passing from one side of the car to the other. Welded to the side chassis tubes either end and at the centre. I added some vertical pieces that drop down from underneath the tunnel tubes, to the top of the box. This allows the cross pieces to bear the weight of the seats without bending - they're positioned so the seat runners are bolted through the box which saves having to put big spreader plates under the floor.

The seat mounting is really solid, no flex anywhere and the floor sheet is just there to keep the water out.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been in exactly the same situation as you - been building my 2B since 2003 I’m ashamed to say, however, most of the build was done in the first two years, and I only really got stuck into getting it finished over the last summer when I retired . I was really dreading the test as I had no photographic evidence of the build, however, I took it for the test in September, it failed but was pleasantly surprised at the small amount of work I needed to do to hopefully get a pass. It failed on - not enough brake pipe clips, no rubber grommets in the rear brake back plates, petrol pipe not marked as appropriate, exhaust needed protective edging etc etc. 

So getting to your question, 

One of the fails was in relation to the inner seat belt mounts needing to have a path back to the main chassis- I already had two pieces of 3mm angle running the width of the car, one above the floor and one beneath, bolted through the floor and both inner seat belt mounts also bolted through both angles. The tester wanted the upper angle welded to the chassis at each side as this would provide the strength path back to the chassis. This I did, plus I had the angle beneath the floor also welded to the chassis- I took pics of this being done as the upper angle ends are hard to see with the seats in. I did contact Kit spares but could not see how the floor  strengthening panel would provide exactly what the tester was insisting on.

Also on the way to the test the master cylinder decided to pack up - so he couldn’t test them properly.

Fitted a new M/cyclinder and took the car back for retest last month and the tester was very satisfied with what I had done Re the floor strength and inner seat belt mounting. He also passed all the other bits and bobs.

The brakes was another story, it failed on pedal travel and low performance on the rears. I rebuilt all the brakes with new parts in the early days of the build and thought these would be fine - not so. After so much time I should have really recommissioned the brakes at least, an expensive oversight as brakes mean a retest fee. I have stripped them all down, cleaned and lubricated with high melting point grease. Just need to get them bled now to get a firm pedal. I’m a bit ashamed as belt and braces stuff. 

Sorry this is a bit of an essay - just wanted to get across to you and others that getting the old 2B through the IVA is not the total nightmare some would have you believe.

Patt

Patt,

Thanks for the information is there any chance of the photos you mention so that I can incorporate the mountings into my build. I started my build late 2004 and got to a rolling chassis stage in a few years and then stopped due to having no time.now that times is mine again keen to complete but there is a lot of work todo 

Steve D

Hi Steve- I would do this no problem - but haven’t mastered the art of attaching images yet, sad I know. If you want to pm your email address, I can do it that way. 

Patt