Zetec Swirl Pot

Guest Ophidr

can anyone give me some help on how to pipe up a swirl pot

Top pipe returns to the fuel tank 8 mm hose

Bottom 12mm pipe goes to the high pressure pump and does that go to the fuel rail on the throttle bodies?

second from bottom 8 mm pipe come from fuel tank

what does the 3rd from bottom pipe do also 8mm?

Many thanks

Top pipe, fuel return to tank.

Bottom pipe, fuel feed to HP pump which then feeds the fuel rail. Opposite end of the fuel rail will have a pressure regulator and the outlet from this goes back in to the swirl pot through the second pipe down.

Third pipe down come from the low pressure pump and fills the swirl pot from the tank.

Personally I think external swirl pots just add extra complication. If you've already got it then carry on and it will work fine. If you've not bought one yet consider an in tank swirl pot as tractor suggests, a Land rover swirl pot and pump fits easily in a 2B tank, works well and is cheap.

Edited by richyb66

The negatives of low pressure pump adding an extra component to fail are offset by the absolute reliability of the system in fuel supply under any conditions apart from inverted. As for extra complication? Sit down. Work out how it works. Plumb and wire it in. Stops being complicated if you understand it. Fit once and forget.

Also increases fuel carrying capacity by 1-2 litres. Bonus!

I swear by mine (but also occasionally at my LP pump).

post-21-0-28028000-1542058465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

Why would you put a swirl pot in the engine bay?? Apart from heat issues most pumps pump far better than they suck so their sensible place is close to the tank.

If you install it wrong it doesn't work well. Therefore the system is flawed. No. The install was flawed.

Edited by Longboarder

Lots of diesel cars use low pressure lift pumps and a sort of swirl pot as standard. On petrol cars its not worth the cost for a road car. A more common solution for more sporty cars is baffled tanks, reliable as the day is long but not as good as a swirl pot.

Foam filled tanks are also effective for anti surge of fuel, not only does it reduce the risk of air in the fuel it keeps the weight of the fuel fairly stable during direction changes.

Florin's swirl pot is home made from copper--- is mounted in the engine bay--- L/P pump supplies swirl pot as per Nigel's pics --- continuously circulating fuel doesn't get hot so no bother.

(Didn't like the idea of high pressure fuel in the tunnel)

My car has a 2.0l swirl pot in the engine bay, fed from the rear via a facet silvertop low pressure pump, I did track days in the hot summer we just had with no issues what so ever on the fuel system.the oil overhead and the brakes melted but no fuel heat issues or surging problems. Why is it in the front ? There was no room in the back and the fuel tank wasn't suitable for modification at the time I converted the car to fuel injection. Use a good lp pump and it will be fine, mount the pot away from the exhaust in the air flow if possible and it works great.

Swirl pot has it's place in motorsport but for a road car is overkill, BUT for many kit builders it's a hack to get over a badly designed solution by the manufacturer in the first place. If you're building the car from the ground up, just do it right the first time and get an in-tank swirl pot. If you have to retro-fit afterwards, an external swirl pot might be your only practical answer if you can't get one that fits your tank...

Yes, I reluctantly have a swirl pot, don't get me started on it :D

• Like 2