Rusty sheet metal

Guest Dakes

Guest Hawaii Steve
3 hours ago, Dakes said:

Whats the best stuff to put on rusty sheet metal before painting it its only surface rust cheers 

I don't believe there's anything you can put on it.  You must sand down to bare metal and then hit it with epoxy primer.  Everyone I know who has pained over any rust has lived to regret it.

Good luck!

Steve

As Steve said if it is only surface rust best way is to sand back to shiny metal and use a good quality barrier coat usually red oxide or similar and undercoat soon after..

There are rust converters on the market that change chemically the rust to a material like steel which stops the metal from degrading further, however it is usually used to stabilize heavy rusting where filler is needed to make up the surface. This coating still needs surface to be cleaned of loose rust/oils/paints and to be primed quickly after application otherwise rust will return. 

No substitute for a bit of "elbow grease"😳 i'm afraid, but the results will be worth it.

Jim