NEW AREA MEETS FOR 2019

richyb66

The introduction of the new GDPR regulations in May this year means that we are now no longer able to include lists of local Members when we send out welcome packs. This makes it far more difficult for new members to know who may be near to them and I believe this is having a negative impact on the club as we try to organise more local meets.

We already have a number of regular area meets and I have been going through the database to try and get an idea of the geographic spread of members and to try and identify other areas where it may be possible to start new ones. These don’t need to be a stand-alone event, there seems to be car shows cropping up everywhere now and it might be easier, certainly between April and September, to meet up at an existing event. That way at least there will be stuff to see even if the turnout isn’t that good.

Areas where we seem to have members close together include Bed & Bucks, Cambs, Essex, Norfolk, South West, South Yorks. This isn’t an exhaustive list, but it gives an idea of where it might be possible to get some area meets up and running but we can’t do anything unless people start to show some interest.

If you’re interested in supporting a meet in your local area, let us know on here, together with your approximate location. If there seems to be enough interest in one location, I’ll start a separate thread and we can take it from there. We’re also interested to hear of other existing regular events that might be a potential meeting point. Winter may not be the ideal time to be starting new meets (although with few car events it is good to catch up on what members are doing to their cars over the Winter) but by starting to plan early, I hope we might be able to get things in place for early next year.

If anyone has any other ideas, post them up for discussion here or contact me via pm.

Thanks.

Hi and Good Morning,

I have only started this year really getting involved with club as car registered within last few months.

I live at the extreme North of Hampshire and to confuse matters my post code is Berkshire.

I am keen to get involved in events/meets but notice this area is not supported. At the moment I am to much of a fledgling to head up anything but will actively support if happenings are close.

I have already put myself on map so you can see my location.

Regards Jim

Privacy, schmivacy, does anyone really care that much? Who's naive enough to think that their details aren't all over the net already? 

If it's a problem, can we not include a simple list of forum names, town and county? Eg.

Nelmo, Reigate, Surrey

Freddjo, St Albans, Hertfordshire (that's made up 😉)

Etc, etc

That should be ok for the paranoid law-makers, no?

• Like 1

No, everyone can see that if the person has added it to their profile. The point is if people put a location in their profile or add their location to the members map, it's their decision to do so, so they are giving consent. What the club can't do is use member information that we hold on record, make it public and assume people are OK with it.

Obviously the more people that put their location - which need not be exact, on the member map, the better it is because other people can see who's in their area and we can plan area meets more easily.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am new(ish) to the club and live in north Chehsire.  I think I read in the club booklet that I received when I joined that there was a monthly meeting in the Warrington area on the first Wednesday of the month.  Does anyone know whether this still happens and if so confirm the location, I would be interested in making the next meeting if I can.

6 hours ago, Nicholas M Walker said:

I am new(ish) to the club and live in north Chehsire.  I think I read in the club booklet that I received when I joined that there was a monthly meeting in the Warrington area on the first Wednesday of the month.  Does anyone know whether this still happens and if so confirm the location, I would be interested in making the next meeting if I can.

Hi, do you not still have the magazine? There are 2 possible meets although i have no idea if they still actually happen:

1st Wed of every month, Helsby Arms, Helsby, WA6 0JE (however,  can't see that pub on Google Maps any more, maybe the Hornsmill? ). You could try call Stephen  Percival  (07880 538343) who is down as the organiser? 

2nd to last Sunday of the month, Phantom Winger, Broughton,  Preston,  PR3 5JE (no contact details).

Hope that helps.

Edited by nelmo

• 3 months later...

Hi Wanderer,

Thank you for keeping this post alive, you appear to very keen and we need people like you with the passion for kit cars. 

Just an idea, why don’t you organise a meet in your area? Give about a months notice and if possible get it in the magazine because not all members are on the forum.

Could be a great start to a new area.

All the best for the future.