Rear Diff Nuts and bolts

Dean Roberts

Can anybody suggest any places links I can get the nuts and bolts required for a Ford Sierra 7" diff.

Or should I just go to Ford Parts?

Just stripping down a rear axle to fit onto the kit and most of the bolts are either seized, damaged or stripped.

The filler plug is completely seized and no use, but the diff has another filler tapped into the top already.

Need to replace the Torx retaining bolts for the the diff cover.

Also need to replace the fitting bolts as most needed to be drilled out or cut off.

I found these, but would rather replace all of them with new whilst I'm restoring the rest:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Sierra-Sapphire-Esate-Rear-Hubs-rear-Arms-7-diff-differential-Bolts-/253453378826

Any links, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dino

The long bolts are probably Ford (if they still even do them) but for the cover plate bolts, are they some weird and wonderful thread? If not, I'd just buy some suitable length flange-head bolts (or cap-heads with suitably-sized washers) from one of umpteen online suppliers and use something more readily available and also easier to undo in the future!! But I assume they're not a common thread because otherwise everyone would be doing it...?

Kebrells in Coventry will have all the bolts you need. They were in Harper Road just off London Road at the town end but they may have moved up to Canley. Probably best to take the old bolts (or what's left of them) down there

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kebrell+Nuts+%26+Bolts+Ltd/@52.398684,-1.555828,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3d6c75b8baf3a93e!8m2!3d52.398684!4d-1.555828

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brumster said:

The long bolts are probably Ford (if they still even do them) but for the cover plate bolts, are they some weird and wonderful thread? If not, I'd just buy some suitable length flange-head bolts (or cap-heads with suitably-sized washers) from one of umpteen online suppliers and use something more readily available and also easier to undo in the future!! But I assume they're not a common thread because otherwise everyone would be doing it...?

None of the Diff bolts are anything fancy thread wise but I think the diff flange bolts that hold the lobro joints on are metric coarse. From memory when I swapped mine I had to buy bolts that were different to the ones supplied. I just went to a fastener supplier in Tamworth who had them on the shelf.

Edited by richyb66
  • Like 1

The top “filler thread” is actually a missing breather tube and whilst I suppose you could drains fluid out of the when not bolted to the car and fill it, the proper filler hole is also a level plug, when oils drips out when filling its full.

you can get an adaptor to fill the top hole with a barbed fitting for a tube from CBS then runna length of rubber pipe for a breather

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 6:09 AM, Snapperpaul said:

The top “filler thread” is actually a missing breather tube and whilst I suppose you could drains fluid out of the when not bolted to the car and fill it, the proper filler hole is also a level plug, when oils drips out when filling its full.

you can get an adaptor to fill the top hole with a barbed fitting for a tube from CBS then runna length of rubber pipe for a breather

Cheers dude thanks for the advice, so I really need to fix the filler on the cover plate for future fill-up when the diff is in place.

Now that everything is stripped from the rear axle, I need to look carefully at the diff, it looks like a hair line fracture on the top where the large bolt attached it to the frame of car.

So maybe some welding is needed and whilst its all off, I should really either replace or fix the filler :)