how to determine chuck key size

agent_zed

I've somehow lost my chuck key for my pillar drill. It's an Einhell BT-BD501 Drill Press (pillar Drill) 500w. which has a 16mm chuck. I don't know what to measure to know what size key to order. I've seen 16mm keys on ebay but not sure if that's just the size of the key not for a 16mm chuck.

Does it help if i measure the hole that the key goes into does this relate to the chuck key size?

I've found the manual online but it doesn't mention size. It's certainly a large size as i've got a 4 headed chuck key with different sizes on each but none of them are large enough.

any help appreciated.

Hi,

There are hundreds of different chucks available and not that easy to tell apart.

I would suggest you remove the chuck off the press (should be a morse taper fit) and take to a local engineering supplier - like Buck & Hickmann, who then can find a suitable match for your chuck. A little bit more expensive but you can end up ordering many keys before you get the right one (sods law now states that you would get it correct first time🙄).

If not a taper(highly unlikely) it will be held on with a thread and possibly a locking screw in centre.

I used to run a tool hire company and kept loads of different keys in stock for just these occurrences, and still we had shortfalls!

Jim