Winter Maintenace/Mods

keith kelly

Hi all,

Site is a bit quiet so I am guessing you are all working n the winter mods lol.

Thought I would start this thread to see what everyone is up to and what mods we can look forward to seeing out and about next year.

My list is as follows:-

change/fix starter motor.

fix speedo and put magnets in better location.

look into what I believe is a noisy thrust bearing, Backup gearbox on standby.

short list but sure I will add to it. I am not allowed in the garage until after Christmas as my present has been in there since the beginning of December so don't want to plan too much as car needs to be on road for april.

regards

keith kelly

At moment I have my Smart car apart sorting out lots of bits that should have been rectified at service (car is new addition so not my fault), whole front has to come off to replace headlights.

Have been checking kit's induction and exhaust for leaks as have had exhaust popping on over run and very high tick over with spark plugs fowling up. Made myself a smoke generator using plumbing smoke pellets, with help from hair dryer(kindly donated by Mrs). Found 2 on intake, cracked vacuum feed to fuel regulator and leak from turbo to inter-cooler - wrong clamp. Found several on exhaust, loose crimping on box, porous weld into box and a weld preventing seal to turbo.

Also had slight oil leak from engine which traced to top, I had wrongly applied sealant when replacing rocker cover and this caused problem. New gasket kit installed and all good - note sealant not always the answer. Also found oil cap cracked and leaking, new unit purchased at 17.95😯 only to find same as Mercedes(and probably lots more) at less than £5.00.

Everyone should have a smoke box, it makes these tasks easy. 

Exhaust is being sorted by supplier as covered by lifetime guarantee so all should be good.

Now the main bits - workshop has been turned into Pappy,s repair emporium with toys to mend, toys to make, furniture to upgrade (upcycle to be modern), etc.,etc.

Happy Christmas.....Jim

Hey, winter mods this year;

Front springs - going to 300lb from 250lb

Engine mounts - gone a bit soft

Cambelt - not sure of its age

Water pump housing - Thread stripped grrr

Header tank - going back to standard from a pretty allow one...

Happy Christmas :)

IMG_1564.jpeg

I’m prepared for some flack but after the Wales trip I still need to sort out tracking, front tyres and camber. I have the tools but time is in short supply on a positive note it’s still insured and tax so I can use over Christmas!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MarkBzero said:

I’m prepared for some flack but after the Wales trip I still need to sort out tracking, front tyres and camber. I have the tools but time is in short supply on a positive note it’s still insured and tax so I can use over Christmas!

Probably need 2 new front tyres after Wales! 🤣

• Haha 1

I've bought all the bits (ally, foam, vinyl, glue) to make armrests for my doors, as I don't have any straps at present to hold the doors shut. Nicked the idea off a Caterham owner I met...

I hadn't been planning anything else but I've ended up buying little odds and ends:

New USB sockets (old one died)

Funky new wing mirrors

New gearknob