Cycle Wing Stays

DoctorDee

I had hoped to use the MK Indy Cycle wing mounts to attach the new wings to "GLADYS".

The pinch bolt on the hub carrier, (which holds the upper ball joint in place), is the fixing point for the upper part of the mounting bracket.....see pic

This bolt is way too short to provide an adequate mount.

Just wondered if anyone has used the MK wing mounts and had similar problem....If they replaced this pinch bolt do they have a spec

As always, any help will be really appreciated

IMG_20190111_150048.jpg

again slightly off topic but whist you have bits apart and working on that area it is worth adding some sort of fail safe to the dummy strut that the pinch bolt holds in. Otherwise if the pinchbolt comes loose the strut can slide out with potentially disastrous consequences.

The macpherson has a 'wing' on it with a hole in it which slips down the gap and the pinch bolt goes through so it can't come out unless the bolt comes out completely. If you can weld, you can add a piece to the strut to do the same.

Some people don't like this method but i did as RH advised which was to drill a small 6mm hole though the side of the hub and strut and added a small bolt to prevent it coming out. I've not had a problem with this in over 10 years but i can understand the argument for not drilling holes.

Not really familiar with the MK wingstays do they also bolt to the lower balljoint nut? 

Also if you aren't adding a nyloc make sure to use threadlock on the bolt. I've only done SVA and i didn't use any additional nuts on this bolt.