pièce de résistance

marlin

That's quality. Have you ever visited Portmeirion? 

Quick question, do fog lamps go on the RH side in the US? They go that side in the UK so I'd have thought the go on the LH side so the lamp is positioned closer to the centre of a single carriageway. 

Edited by richyb66

13 minutes ago, richyb66 said:

That's quality. Have you ever visited Portmeirion? 

Quick question, do fog lamps go on the RH side in the US? They go that side in the UK so I'd have thought the go on the LH side so the lamp is positioned closer to the centre of a single carriageway. 

Based on the fact there is no IVA and no MOT in the US, I don't think it will matter much 😉

That is a cool plate - will anyone in the US get it?

Andi - it is a $50 added cost to the regular yearly fee, in California anyway. Other options than black or white available but cost more and supports various causes, fire fighters, environment, etc.

richy66 - have never been to Portmeirion but someplace I've always wanted to visit. The Prisoner show had a big impression on me during my formative years. Is it still open to the public? Had to wait till my senior years to get the car though.  In reality rear fog lights are unknown here. Even though we get a fair amount of fog here in northern California. People here only know of front fog lights. But you make a good point. The GBS chassis loom places the fog light on the right side and not looking for more work to do will probably just leave it alone.  Will probably never remember to use it anyway, and other drivers would just think I'm riding my brakes anyway.

nelmo - no IVA or MOT for kit cars but in California anyway you do need to go through a myriad of inspections, brake & light, CHP (california highway patrol), smog referee (if you want to be exempt from smog inspections, unique to kit cars in california), and the infernal beast of the DMV (department of motor vehicles), etc. I kept a humorous diary of sorts regarding the headaches I had getting the car registered. Will send it to anyone privately that is interested but it does need editing. 

Every state has different laws and requirements for car registration. I only have experienced California which I think is one of the worst. So the same plate could be issues by another state if they offer that option.  Here is what my other kit car has;

smDSCN1857.jpg.30f1cf21e4481883ec783824b4b5acff.jpg

• Like 1

The nearest you could get in the UK to that is PR15ONR or PR15NER but neither are available numbers and I suspect if they were they could possibly have cost well into 4 figures.  Some of these 'vanity/personalised' registration numbers can cost getting on for 6 figures or more!!!   

Edited by David S

Being neither famous or rich Mo bought  R 70 FRY    for my birthday about 20 years ago for around £250  all up.   Was good advertising for our business.

Our hot air balloon was GS-FRY,  paid less for that but again a long time ago.

On 19 January 2019 at 7:36 PM, marlin said:

richy66 - have never been to Portmeirion but someplace I've always wanted to visit. The Prisoner show had a big impression on me during my formative years. Is it still open to the public?

Yes, it's still very much open. We visit fairly regularly because it''s not too far from our place in Wales and an annual pass is only £22. There's a hotel there and you can stay in some of the buildings in the village which alos means you get to wander round in the evening when it's a bit quieter (and they have a tv channel there that runs The Prisoner episodes 24/7).

richy66 - thanks for the information will try to get it on the future agenda. Web link would be nice if handy?

The bureaucracy in different places seem to be in our pockets different ways.  If vanity plates were that expensive here I would never go for them. Here 50-80 extra is doable especially if it is something important or fun. 3 figures I'd be hard pressed to cough up let alone 6 figures. 

Living the dream? Yes, sometimes but it can be a night terror too. Consider our fearful leader, fires, guns, no affordable health care.... each place has pluses and minuses. Have considered moving over to your side of the pond since wife is from there.  We will just keep flipping the coin.

Cheers 🤠

I once spent 3 nights with the wife in Compton LA. (not recommended). I didnt know it was a dodgy area and the hotel was cheap so i booked it.

Certainly not a dream area over there.  😣. But hey!  the wife is gradually starting to talk to me after 10 years now . 😂