HELP!! Building a Super Spec From Rolling State

oldskoolford

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, oldskoolford said:

Did you mount a bit of ply for a fuse box/board?  I'm thinking to put one in the passenger footwell.  Do you know if this is the best place to put a fuse/relay board?

I bought a (ABS) project box from Maplins and mounted it above the passenger footwell against the central tunnel - essentially the same as mounting it on a piece of ply.  Relays and fuses are mounted on the outside and the box acts as a giant junction box.

ABS project boxes readily available on ebay.

-steve

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve,

I think where you have put yours is a really good place. Thats where ill be putting mine.

Ive favoured a fuse and relay box from car builder solutions that has a cover you can purchase for it too. Comes with a wiring diagram too which is good for a novice like me.

When I rewired my Superspec last year I built a fuse and relay board from an ABS sheet - actually the base cut from a large rectangular paint bucket!

I looked at mounting it on the inside of the passenger footwell either on the back of the firewall or on the side of the scuttle, but decided access would be too difficult. In the end I put it under the bonnet lengthways next to the coolant bottle and battery on the nearside of the engine bay, and fixed to the firewall and battery tray. No cover on mine but the two led fuse holders have clip on clear covers for protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently done a rewire (among alot of other things recently) i found out a couple of things.

1) Ditch the original wiring and get a new body loom and keep the engine loom

2) The fuse box can be mounted inside using velcro on the box to make it quick and easy to access

3) make sure everything is labelled

4) make sure when you have wired in your ECU that the 3 relay fuses also have their own fuse supply as these are easier to replace than the relays as mine were buried.

5) after completing the rewire you can move the ECU to inside the cabin and makes access to it very easy for when you want any analysis

I'm hoping to make the show guys, should be a good fact finding mission. 

Could someone please tell me exactly what steering column the super spec has. It would seem that the advice on here is to ditch the Sierra loom and start again or get a custom one. I would like to cut the correct plug off the loom that is correct for the column so I have a perfect fit into the back of the ignition barrel as a start to getting a new loom made up. I also need some factory fit indicator stalks so another reason to know what the column is. 

Regards 

Lloyd. 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, DeanRudkin said:

Get your membership paid and join us camping and hog roast 😂😂 also what brain transplant has been done 

I don't know is if you had noticed but I had about 1000 posts going at once about my car and then decided to change ECU to see if it was that. Lo and behold it has run sweet since.

If only I could change people's brains as easily haha

With regards to the stalks a focus MK1 column stalks slides nicely on and isn't to big or bulky. They also wire in nicely.

In terms of the old loom to a new loom, I went with premier wiring systems and i sent him the stalks and he wired them in. Also the barrel only requires 3 wires to it.

If you need the wiring for the barrel I could let you know when I'm near the car.