HELP!! Building a Super Spec From Rolling State

oldskoolford

Hi to all,

I am completely new to Robin Hood Kit Cars and have acquired a Super Spec.

The first owner has fitted the body panels and riveted them on.  That's pretty much it as far as I believe?  Could anyone please tell me the best build order to help me get going as I am very lost!  Is it worth just fitting the panels around the petrol tank or go straight for sorting out and installing the loom?  I don't find the robin hood videos very helpful as they are not detailed enough to help a novice.  Is this the consensus on this forum maybe?  Are there only 3 discs for the super spec videos?  That's all I have.

IMG-20190121-WA0003.jpg

Many Thanks

Lloyd.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lloyd

Welcome to the club, I to have a super spec but only the standard one not the turbo, unfortunately I didnt build mine but I also only have 3 DVDs and I know what you mean about how useful they would be to a novice. 

There are a few of us with supers active on the forum so someone may have built theirs, our main "guru" is Alan Richey but I'm sure he didn't build his either.

Hi Lloyd

Welcome to another Superspec. There are about a dozen Superspec owners that we know about, but not many of us actually built our cars, so there is not much first hand building knowledge around. However, if you search back over the posts in this forum you can find quite a lot of information from the people who originally built the cars between 2003-2009.

You've got the Superspec build instructions in the 3 DVDs, but they were meant to provide extra details and differences from the Robin Hood Project 2B build instructions. I think there are 16 videos for the 2B that were uploaded to YouTube, so they would be worth a watch for basic build info, if only for a laugh! See part 1 at www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoXGacMEi-E

There's also a Superspec build diary by an original builder with blog and photos at http://www.super-spec.com/index.html which I've found helpful for information about the car.

18 hours ago, oldskoolford said:

Hi to all,

I am completely new to Robin Hood Kit Cars and have acquired a Super Spec.

The first owner has fitted the body panels and riveted them on.  That's pretty much it as far as I believe? 

Well, they did much more than that as it's at a rolling chassis stage - took me over a year to get to that stage on my Zero 😀

Build order is generally the same for any kit although there is a lot of personal choice involved. For example, I did my loom before the panels went on as access was better.

A link to my build blog is in my sig below, if you want an idea of order.

I've got 2 RH brochures that indicate the first batch of Superspec kits (2003-2004) were sold as rolling chassis with Rover engine, gearbox, diff, floor pan, suspension, steering and wheels all fitted. Later they were also offered as separate unbuilt chassis and with a choice of engines.

If you look at your engine number on the block under the rear exhaust port, you can work out it's approximate age and which Rover car the engine would have been made for. See post...

https://www.rhocar.org/index.php?/forums/topic/24891-rover-engine-codes/&do=findComment&comment=377578

I built mine, and the panels (and cosmetics) were the last thing to be added.  Essentially I built the fully working car (brakes, transmission, steering, fuel, seats, loom/electrics) before all ancillaries were added (panels, lights, windscreen, wipers).

Still have the car and still enjoying it.

-steve

Hi Lloyd,

Mine went for the test last week which it failed on but very minor things.

It appears that although the test hasn't changed, the testers in my area have left because of work changes. Mine was tested by someone who had to drive up from another testing station miles away and he had never seen a Robin Hood.

One minor point was it was listed a 450 kg front end when in fact it was 451.5kg which he failed it on. 

One thing which cam to light on mine before it went for the test was the fuel tank fastening.

My fuel tank was fastened in by Robin Hood but it appeared to be only secured by 2 screws at the back. It had to have a brace fitted under the tank at the front to firmly fix in place. 

Got to admit I didn't spot this as it was only apparent when the tank was lifted up and down with some force 

If you need any photos of anything just let me know although I dont always check my personal emails.

8 hours ago, AndyW said:

I've got 2 RH brochures that indicate the first batch of Superspec kits (2003-2004) were sold as rolling chassis with Rover engine, gearbox, diff, floor pan, suspension, steering and wheels all fitted.

Ah right, well that's cheating 😀