Rear wheel camber

jmspec

I bought my super spec from Robin Hood as a rolling chassis so the rear axle was already fitted.

The rear wheels have got different amounts of camber. One about 1 degree and the other approx 4 degrees. 

It looks to me that the 1 degree is about right

im not sure why they should be different but am I ok to put a tapered plate on the 4 degree one to bring it back to the same as the other side.

i suppose I can put a parallel plate on the good side to keep the distances even.

Any advice would be great

Thanks, 

Jeremy 

Is the car fully built and loaded? The way the axle bolts up it should be very difficult to get significantly different camber on the rear wheels. You will benefit from camber wedges anyway so go ahead and buy and fit some, equal each side, but while you are doing that I think you must check the rear end is properly assembled. In particular that the rear of the car sits parallel to the ground and not one side lower than the other. Rear hubs properly bolted to the axle. Then I would have the springs out and check they are equal length and poundage. Then I would drive it a bit.

Half a degree difference in the rears I could accept. Three degrees and something is off. Fitting different wedges, left and right, sounds wrong.

Hi

Yes the car is fully loaded. It passed its Iva last week so it's fully built.

The springs are ok and same poundage. The car sits parrellel to the floor. All looks ok, but I've never stripped off the rear hubs, so the problem could be there.

i think I'll have to take off the rear hubs and have a good measure to check alignments.

I agree that it doesn't sound right to put different shims in each side.

Doe anyone have any drawing of the camber adjuster wedges?

Thanks 

Jeremy

Given this problem a lot of thought this weekend.

Done some more checking and it appears that one side is slightly higher than the other.

I spoke to GBS who have told me they lifted the suspension so the car would be ok on the rolling road for the test.

Ill have to spend some time trying to set up again.

Thanks 

Here's a quick pic of some old ones I have lying around. Bought them off the vindicator stand at stoneleigh years ago  so they are a bit crude. Measured with a cheapo vernier, my excuse for eyes and very shaky hands so all dimensions are plus or minus 10mm! Well perhaps not quite that bad.

Camber wedge.jpg

Thanks for the drawing.

I bought some postal scales this week which weigh up to 300kg so the idea is I'll try to set up the suspension as good as possible then make some camber wedges to bring it to about 1 degree 

Its a job for next weekend