Kev's Locost Turbo Build

Guest kevyo89

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kevyo89

Happy with the progress from last weekend... 

Got the engine mounts sorted (only tacked in this photo). Went beefier than I've seen anyone else do them and left a little bit of beef around the base which I can trim of if required 

1OE66AJ.jpg

I had to trim the mx5 gearbox a little bit as it was fouling on my transmission tunnel

t4kPe45.jpg

Finally welded up the engine and gearbox mounts then got the lot slotted into position. 

wXAu7fy.jpg

This weeks goals

- fit the newly modified propshaft 

- finish roll cage 

- fit shortened sump 

- fit panhard rod 

- mount fuel tank/swirl pot 

Guest kevyo89
Thanks to Pete at Brookfab for the front roll hoop tonight - I should be able to get this in by tomorrow night. Also got some 1.2mm aluminium sheet for the side panels and transmission tunnel.

Roll hoop is only roughly secured on with some G-clamps and some wire. Looks pretty good in my opinion. 

P.S. Excuse the dodgy bonnet - that's a bonnet scoop in the making :P

sEXmAwi.jpg

BSUhqtS.jpg

Z4Ytpcb.jpg

By the weekend, I would like to have the rose-jointed panhard made and fitted, my fuel cell secured, the steering column mounted and roll cage complete :P

Guest kevyo89
Loads of progress today....

Complete MX5 steering column mounted. It should be IVA friendly as it retains the full collapsible section. The lower mount just needs finished
vjaJSnN.jpg

I also got my modified prop back and fitted in:
8bjqv0o.jpg

Rose jointed panhard rod is now finished and fitted albeit without the misalignment spacers. One end is a right hand thread and the other a left hand thread so by spinning the tube with both ends connected up, it lengthens/shortens accordingly without the need for removal. 
tsVjLlS.jpg

Roll cage is finished. Please excuse the trick nuts on the side mounts lol. They'll be chopped off obviously. 
G4R8SmW.jpg

I know it would be class with the side bars too but I'm fed up with the cage by now. I might add them in at a later stage. 

Fuel cell mount made up and fitted in :)
4KzfbHw.jpg

I got a good bit done for a day's work 😛
Edited by kevyo89

Guest kevyo89
So I had it sand blasted yesterday:
PJyjJVj.jpg

C2o8bNm.jpg

And today I set about etch priming and painting it. 

Looks well it etch primer! That was time consuming job and it used far more primer than I expected!

cn1vJEn.jpg

QDdl1qO.jpg

Paint will be done tomorrow 👌

Guest kevyo89
I love how at this stage, it gets better looking with each little addition 

s5Ou55o.jpg

Qn2zJz5.jpg

Engine cleaned, painted and dropped in tomorrow with all wishbones on. Might even get the rear axle in too if I can get the rose jointed rear arms done in time. 

Guest kevyo89

I didn't get as much done this weekend as I'd hoped.

All wishbones sprayed and bearings fitted, steering rack and column sprayed and fitted, shocks fitted:

WBX0xGL.jpg

TDqFpYx.jpg

xoWPz82.jpg

Im thinking now that my steering wheel sits a little high so it might tinker with it at a later stage. 

I’m enjoying this build thread, it’s going at a cracking pace!

Although, I do feel a bit lazy. In the year I’ve had my car I’ve managed to change the alternator and adjust the seat position. Even at that it was my brother that helped completed the task 😂

Alvin..